Join the CILASiM Board of Directors!
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Cayambis Institute for Latin American Studies in MusicOverview
During the mid-20th century, a movement known as Pan-Americanism took hold throughout the Americas. This inspired not only a tremendous amount of cultural interchange, but especially, many people were passionately interested in the cultural activities of their hemispheric neighbors. The Cayambis Institute (CILASiM) seeks to strengthen the awareness and appreciation of Latin American classical music by developing a full spectrum approach to its creation, performance and scholarship, and in so doing, cultivate bonds of goodwill and unity among the peoples of the Americas.
Why is this necessary?
Today, Latin American classical music is trapped within a vicious circle, in which obstacles in one area lead to obstacles in another. For instance, a recent study revealed that the performance of this music represents only a tiny fraction of the total number of performances in our country, which in turn leads to an even smaller number of recordings, etc., etc. Only by hewing to a strategy that seeks to address these various situations might we be able to begin to break the vicious circle that has prevented this music from returning to the standing that it once enjoyed. And in so doing, also reawaken some of the trust and goodwill that is so badly needed at this time.
Ours is an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) organization with a working board, and as such, each member is responsible for a specific role within the organization's operations. You can expect to spend a few hours per week on various projects, which includes self-directed remote work and frequent communications via email.
Board members must attend remote monthly meetings and serve on or lead at least one committee or work-group. An initial two-year commitment is required.Board Member Responsibilities
- Knowledge of the organization's mission, vision, values, programs, policies, and needs
- Development and oversight of governance and operational policies and procedures
- Ensure values and mission are reflected in operations and programs
- Engage in strategic planning
- Ensure fiduciary responsibilities are met
- Ensure the organization complies with legal requirements
- Approve and monitor the annual budget, financial reports, and Form 990
- Prepare for meetings by reviewing the agenda and supporting documentation
- Attend and participate in monthly board and committee meetings and special events
- Follow through on all tasks committed to at meetings
- Respond to regular emails from other board members and volunteers
- Actively serve on or lead at least one committee or work-group
- Actively participate in and/or organize fundraising events
- Make a meaningful annual financial contribution
- Select and evaluate staff, interns, and volunteers, as needed
- Commit to either a two-year or three-year term, with the option to renew
- Promote the organization within the local community
- Participate in public speaking opportunities and media interviews
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
PO Box 10164Blacksburg, VA 24062
December 30, 2021