Children's Art Tutor Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: A Free Bird
Volunteer Application: https://forms.clickup.com/f/dg3xb-3587/3TIB9OCNV1L443XMEE
A Free Bird is a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization based in New York City. Our focus is to provide children, ages 4-18 who are patients or survivors of juvenile cancer, the opportunity to explore their artistic passions and give them the strength to fight their disease. We believe that artistic expression is critical for healing! A Free Bird supports children affected by cancer in their exploration of art, music, acting, poetry, writing, singing and any other artistic passion they may have.
You will be working with the child under our Take Flight Program which pairs a tutor and a child together from the child’s art form that they choose. It is a 12-week program consisting of One Hour per week continuously checking in with the Programs Director as well as updating the Child Life Specialist and Psychologist about what you have been teaching the child. You will work closely with the Programs Director to create a 12-week plan for the child.
We are seeking a candidate with experience and talent in art, music, acting, poetry, writing, singing and any other artistic passion they may have to work with a child affected by cancer.Responsibilities
- Provide non-classroom one to one instructions to our young students
- Assess the appropriate ability level of each student
- Teach students drawing/painting mechanics
- Help students learn how to draw/paint
- Teach students study skills, note taking skills and performance skills
- Monitor the progress of the students so their needs can be identified
- Give timely and honest feedback to students and parents
- Communicate with creativity and clarity
- Arrange recitals and concerts for students' families and friends
- Experience working with young students
- Previous coaching experience
- Minimum performance experience
- Key Skills for Artists
- Ability to motivate others
- Determination and perseverance
- Passionate and mission-driven
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Motivated to work with nonprofit organizations
- Mission Driven
- Additional Information
Due to the recent outbreak of COVID-19 and its severity, this will be a remote work from home position. The organization has committed to our volunteers’ health and we will adapt to the new working environment accordingly.
Proper at-home working capabilities include Laptop, SmartPhone, and connection to WiFi/internet. Must be available to have a phone/video conversation at least once per week.
Please provide either a brief description of your relevant professional experience or your LinkedIn profile.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
542 Atlantic AveBrooklyn, NY 11201
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK