Help those affected by wildfires as a Disaster Service Associate!
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: American Red Cross Pacific Coast Chapter, CA
The Shelter Service Associate is a temporary position assigned to work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event. Shelter Service Associates complete tasks necessary for shelter operations and interacts with clients to ensure their needs are met. Shelter Service Associates support the day-to-day activities within a shelter, which can include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information or other areas within a shelter.
- May include providing support to one or more of the following areas within the shelter:
- Provide excellent customer service to clients
- Complete the required virtual self-paced training (3.5 hours of training total)
- Willing and able to volunteer in person in a disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event.
- Ability to work in a continuously changing environment in which work priorities may change frequently.
- Comfortable interacting with people from various diverse background whose lives have been disrupted and many are presenting immediate needs.
- Comfortable working in a team environment as a frontline worker under the direction of a Supervisor
- Ability to lift / carry 20 lbs. multiple times per shift.
- Ability to stand and/or sit for two-hour periods and walk for two miles during a shift.
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity and/or extreme cold.
- Ability to climb two or more flights of stairs.
- Ability to speak clearly on phone and in person.
- Ability to work for long periods on computer and/or reading small print and/or writing.
- Valid Driver’s License (required for Divisional and National Deployments)
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Available to sign up for shifts on consecutive days (shifts may be 4, 8 or 12 hours long)
- Willing to complete 3.5 hours of virtual self-paced training required for position
- Ability to read, write, and follow verbal and written instructions in English
- Local/Regional: Shift work determined by the scale of the relief operation; a minimum requirement of 8-12 hours per day during the disaster relief operation for multiple, consecutive days.
- Beyond region: Minimum of 14 days working 8- or 12-hour shifts
See the Disaster Responder Training Requirements document for current training requirements for Shelter Service Associate (MC/SH/SA).
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
December 30, 2021