Student Support Specialist
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Trenton Music Makers
An ongoing volunteer commitment, 4:00-6:30pm on days to be mutually agreed.
The Student Support Specialist provides direct assistance to the Artistic Specialist, the Program Director the Site Coordinator, and the teaching staff as needed, promoting student wellbeing and the smooth running of the program on the Trenton Music Makers afterschool orchestra site.
The Trenton Music Makers Orchestra program is scheduled for the 2021-22 academic year beginning September 20, 2021 and ending June 18, 2022. Classes will not be in session on Trenton Public School district holidays. The Student Support Specialist supports the Teaching Artists’ delivery of curriculum that supports the goals of Trenton Music Makers Orchestra, an El Sistema-inspired music education program, and the overall mission of Trenton Music Makers to support social development through music. They represent Trenton Music Makers’ values and serve as an ambassador for the organization, both internally and to the general public.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
● Attend after-school sessions, and staff meetings and professional development sessions as scheduled
● Help the Site Coordinator to check students in as they arrive, taking attendance and conducting temperature checks and any health monitoring activities recommended by the NJ Department of Health and adopted by Trenton Music Makers
● Help the Program Director and Artistic Specialist to supervise students in washing their hands, placing their coats, school bags and instruments in the designated locations, to provide the students with a nutritious meal, and to supervise student cleanup and the disposal of refuse
● Monitor the main door to Westminster Presbyterian Church at any time that the Site Coordinator is needed in other locations, cordially greeting families and other visitors, and politely turning away unauthorized persons
● Assist the Program Director, Artistic Specialist, and Teaching Artists in transitioning students to the church sanctuary at the end of their instruction time, and keeping students peacefully engaged while waiting for pickup
● Model good community-building and citizenship, cultivating a community environment which supports the wellbeing of every student
● Collaborate in any documentation of the program that may take place, to include photography, filming, or recording
● Assist the Program leaders in securing the site at the end of each day
● Other duties as assigned
You Can Expect:
· A warm circle of arts and education professionals of all ages who support your development goals and appreciate your assistance
· A first-hand view of a strong creative youth development program, at its most rewarding and its most challenging moments
· Flexibility to pursue your professional goals
· Professional references from Trenton Music Makers leaders, after 3 months of service in which we have the chance to get to know you!
● Respect for young people from racially and culturally diverse communities
● Passion for creating impact on the lives of young people
● Strong organization skills, matched by kindness, a sense of humor, and readiness to adapt
● Openness to evaluation and the learning process
● Professionalism and commitment to excellence
● Reliable communication through email, phone and WhatsApp
● Full vaccination against COVID-19
● Successfully pass a background check
● Experience working with teachers and students in a school or youth-development setting
● Bilingual in English and Spanish
● Education in music, social work and/or youth development
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1140 Greenwood AvenueTrenton, NJ 08609
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK