BOARD OF DIRECTORS ROLE: VICE PRESIDENT OF MEMBER EXPERIENCE
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: United Nations Association, Northern New Jersey Chapter
ABOUT THE BOARD ROLE
The World needs the UN. The UN Needs YOU.
The United Nations Association of the USA, Northern New Jersey Chapter is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to building understanding of and support for the ideals and work of the UN among the American people. Its education, policy and advocacy programs emphasize the importance of cooperation among nations and the need for American leadership at the UN. Through discussions, partnerships, and action-oriented initiatives, UNA-NNJ offers its members a platform for education, advocacy, professional development in international affairs, and the opportunity to volunteer in international service.
The UNA, Northern New Jersey Chapter covers the counties in the northern part of the state which include Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, and Warren counties.
We are seeking a dynamic and results-oriented professional to serve as an active and collaborative member of the board of directors. The Vice President of Member Experience serves on the Board of Directors and is responsible for thoughtfully designing delightful membership experiences. The VP will identify every touchpoint within a member’s interaction with our chapter with the goal of enhancing delivery of membership experiences aligned with our chapter's mission and culture.
Description and Responsibilities:
- Act as the chief advocate for the member.
- Collaborate closely with the Board of Directors to improve volunteer recruitment, onboarding, retention and develop a pipeline of chapter leaders.
- Update and maintain UNA-Northern New Jersey database and listserv.
- Collaborate closely with the marketing and communications team to develop recruitment campaigns across various channels ensuring consistency of voice, tone and messaging across all platforms and channels.
- Develop chapter correspondences to welcome new members, contact lapsed members and follow up with prospective members.
- Organize periodic volunteer orientations for new members and develop a welcome packet.
- Develop e-blast to ensure members are aware of upcoming events and volunteer opportunities.
- Develop a human capital strategy to present to the Annual Membership Meeting.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking, creative problem-solving, judgment, and negotiating skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
- Highly collaborative, communicative and transparent, with the ability to build strong and effective internal and external relationships.
- Organized self-starter able to work both independently and as a team in the execution of their responsibilities with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude
- Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Member in good standing of UNA-USA and strong commitment to and knowledge of the mission of UNA, Northern New Jersey.
Core competencies: Teamwork/ Collaboration, CX/UX/ Service Design, Project Management, Process Management, Customer Relationship Management, Database Management, Customer Segmentation, Strategic Planning, Oral and Written Communication, Conflict and Negotiation Skills, Consulting, Storytelling, Lead Generation, Cultural Intelligence, Design Thinking, Organizational Leadership, People Management, Performance Management, Human Resources, High Performance Cultures, and Volunteer Management.
Priority will be given to applicants who possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree, or higher, in Public or Business Administration, Human Resources, foreign policy, international affairs, or a related area.
- Demonstrated interest in or experience with the United Nations or other multilateral organizations.
- Professional experience in volunteer management, CX or service design.
- History of progressively responsible supervisory experience working with an NGO or non-profit or private sector.
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively with volunteer leaders and organizations.
Benefits of serving as Board Member
There are numerous benefits to serving on the UNA-NNJ Board, including:
- Build your leadership skills.
- Strengthen your professional network by getting connected to a global network.
- Develop strong relationships with members from leading organizations in international affairs and key figures from the United Nations systems.
- Exercise your creative side by planning innovative events.
- Establish yourself outside of your current workplace and interact with like-minded individuals.
Responsibilities and Time Commitment
- The UNA-NNJ board meets every other month to plan and report on activities for about 1-2 hours on a weekend morning (starting at 10 a.m. or 12:00 p.m.). Meetings are conducted in-person month and generally take place on the first Saturday of the month.
- Board members are expected to participate, as appropriate, in discussions and decision-making processes that take place by email in between monthly Board meetings.
- Board Members are expected to attend at least half of the UNA NNJ Chapter events produced by fellow colleagues.
- Board Members are expected to submit and present reports at monthly Board meetings.
- Board of Director roles serve a two year term.
- Board Members are expected to abide by the chapter code of ethics.
Selection/ Nominating Criteria for Board of Director roles: At least one year of volunteer service to our chapter is required for Board of Director roles. Eligible candidates *new* to our chapter are encouraged to apply to chapter BOD roles and, if selected, will be appointed for a temporary one-year term. Upon successful completion of their provisional term, candidates will then be eligible to apply for the three-year term BOD positions.
Important Considerations: this is an unpaid, volunteer position. As we anticipate a high level of interest in this position, please note, we may not be able to respond to all applicants.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter describing how your qualifications suit this position and why you are interested in serving in this role, a current resume, and the contact information for three references. Note: One or more of your reference (s) must be a current UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter member in good standing.
Please submit the entire application to email@example.com and include "Vice President of Membership Experience" in the subject line.
UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter is committed to inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply.
UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter provides equal opportunity to all volunteers and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.laws.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Bergen County, NJ 20006
December 30, 2021
- Human Resources Diversity
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK