Community Advocacy Program Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Disability Rights Legal Center
Founded in 1975, Disability Rights Legal Center (DRLC) is a 501C-3 non-profit, public interest advocacy organization that champions the civil rights of people with disabilities as well as those affected by cancer. DRLC is a leader in bringing cutting-edge cases to court and in winning victories to protect and to expand the rights of people to help eliminate discrimination and other legal barriers.
The Community Advocacy Program is one of DRLC's programs and it serves as DRLC's intake line that connects callers with resources, referrals, or direct services. The Community Advocacy Program also provides limited representation on legal matters and conducts trainings in the community.
Community Advocacy Program serves as DRLC’s intake line that connects callers with resources, referrals, or direct services. The Community Advocacy Program also provides limited representation on legal matters and conducts trainings in the community.
Volunteers who work in the CAP program will have a unique, hands-on opportunity to assist people with disabilities who call into DRLC’s intake line. CAP participants will interview prospective clients and present the intake to the supervising attorney. Under the direction of the attorney, CAP participants will be involved in analyzing whether DRLC can provide further representation. If not, CAP participants will identify and locate pertinent resources and referrals to assist the caller in finding additional help.
Volunteers are responsible for:
1. Managing a reasonable caseload of intakes from inception through completion.
2. Contacting prospective clients and conducting intakes.
3. Interviewing callers and using person-forward language.
4. Utilizing analytical skills to identify key issues and managing intakes.
5. Maintaining regular communication with CAP Coordinator.
6. Ensuring that callbacks are returned within a reasonable amount of time.
7. Drafting intake notes.
8. Reviewing the case management system to ensure that all intakes and follow-ups are completed in a timely manner.
9. Drafting Closing letters and submitting them for approval to CAP Coordinator.
10. Potential opportunities to participate in community outreach events.
If you are interested in volunteering with Disability Rights Legal Center please fill out our application at:
Please contact Elvira Maldonado at:
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, PART_TIME