BOARD OF DIRECTORS ROLE : TREASURER
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: United Nations Association, Northern New Jersey Chapter
ABOUT THE BOARD ROLE
The World needs the UN. The UN Needs YOU.
The United Nations Association of the USA, Northern New Jersey Chapter is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to building understanding of and support for the ideals and work of the UN among the American people. Its education, policy and advocacy programs emphasize the importance of cooperation among nations and the need for American leadership at the UN. Through discussions, partnerships, and action-oriented initiatives, UNA-NNJ offers its members a platform for education, advocacy, professional development in international affairs, and the opportunity to volunteer in international service.
The UNA, Northern New Jersey Chapter covers the counties in the northern part of the state which include Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, and Warren counties.
The Treasurer maintains all financial records for the Northern New Jersey Chapter, including providing oversight for all banking, events, and fundraising activities. Additional responsibilities include:
- Ensures financial compliance with all applicable laws and provides information to the President and the UNA-USA National Office membership team on all financial matters of the Chapter.
- Maintains regular contact with the National Office to ensure compliance with internal and Federal compliance standards. Specifically, the Treasurer is expected to file an annual IRS Form 990 no later than May 15th of each year (noting that a Chapter’s fiscal year ends on 12/31).
- Responsible for knowing what forms must be filed with the appropriate State and Federal entities and what information is required by the National Office in order to avoid fines, the revocation of the Chapter’s 501 (c) (3) status and/or, as appropriate, its registration as a charitable organization for fundraising purposes.
- Works with the President to prepare the financial section of the Chapter’s Annual Report. The Treasurer also works with the Finance and Budget Committee if the Chapter has established such a committee.
- During Chapter Board meetings, the Treasurer reports actual financials versus the budget and ensures that all Board members understand the report.
Responsibilities and Time Commitment
- The UNA-NNJ board meets every other month to plan and report on activities for about 1-2 hours on a weekend morning (starting at 10 a.m. or 12:00 p.m.). Meetings are conducted in-person or virtually and generally take place on the first Saturday of the month.
- Board members are expected to participate, as appropriate, in discussions and decision-making processes that take place by email in between monthly Board meetings.
- Board Members are expected to attend at least half of the UNA NNJ Chapter events produced by fellow colleagues.
- Board Members are expected to submit and present reports at monthly Board meetings.
- Board of Director roles serve a two year term.
Selection/ Nominating Criteria for Board of Director roles: At least one year of volunteer service to our chapter is required for Board of Director roles. Eligible candidates *new* to our chapter are encouraged to apply to chapter BOD roles and, if selected, will be appointed for a temporary one-year term. Upon successful completion of their provisional term, candidates will then be eligible to apply for the three-year term BOD positions.
Important Considerations: this is an unpaid, volunteer position. As we anticipate a high level of interest in this position, please note, we may not be able to respond to all applicants.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter describing how your qualifications suit this position and why you are interested in serving in this role, a current resume, and the contact information for three references.
Please submit the entire application to email@example.com and include "Treasurer" in the subject line.
UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter is committed to inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply.
UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter provides equal opportunity to all volunteers and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Hackensack, NJ 20006
December 30, 2021
- WEEKENDS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK