Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: REDRESS
REDRESS is seeking a motivated MEDIA INTERN to join our friendly and dedicated team in London. This position would suit students or recent graduates in Journalism, Communications or Public Relations, with an interest in developing a career in the Third Sector or human rights field. The internship will be based in REDRESS’s office in London if Covid-19 movement restrictions at that time permit, or remote if not. Remote interns would need to use their personal computer. The Media Intern will work with our Head of Communications.
We seek to provide REDRESS interns with the experience of working in an NGO, and so each REDRESS intern is likely to work on a number of assignments at the same time. These include:
- Helping prepare a wide range of communications materials.
- Writing content for our website and social media sites.
- Tracking media coverage.
- Maintaining and updating REDRESS’s database of media contacts.
- Assisting in developing audio-visual materials that promote REDRESS.
· Conducting research relating to torture and broader human rights issues.
- Assisting with other duties that may be reasonably expected.
REDRESS is an international human rights organisation that delivers justice and reparation for survivors of torture, challenges impunity for perpetrators, and advocates for legal and policy reforms to combat torture. Our cases respond to torture as an individual crime in domestic and international law, as a civil wrong with individual responsibility, and as a human rights violation with state responsibility.
Qualifications and experience:
The following are essential:
· Studies or a degree in Journalism, although we will consider candidates with other related backgrounds dependent on experience;
· Fluency in English;
· Strong drafting skills in English;
· Strong interest and knowledge of UK press;
· Strong knowledge of social media;
· Strong organisational skills and ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
· Genuine interest in human rights and the principles of REDRESS’ work.
The following are desirable:
· Good knowledge of languages other than English, in particular French, Spanish, Arabic or Dutch;
· Graphic design skills;
· Video editing skills;
· Strong IT skills, particularly in using Microsoft Excel.
Media Internships are part-time (two to three days per week). Applicants should be able to work at REDRESS for a minimum of 10-12 weeks.
This is an unpaid volunteer position. REDRESS will cover expenses for travel and lunch up to £15 per day if working in the REDRESS office, or expenses for lunch up to £10 per day if working remotely. Prospective candidates requiring financial support are encouraged to seek financial assistance from their academic institutions, outside fellowships and/or grants.
Unfortunately, REDRESS cannot sponsor individuals applying for internships to help obtain visas.
How to apply:
If you would like to be considered please email the following to email@example.com, indicating "Media Intern application - October 2021" in the subject heading:
· your CV;
· a brief covering letter highlighting your key skills, indicating when you would be available to start, how many days you would be available to intern; and
· two written samples, preferably journalistic.
Starting date: 4 th October 2021.
Application deadline: 17 th September 2021. Interviews will be held the week of the 27 th September 2021.
Equal opportunity Policy:
REDRESS is committed to ensuring impartiality and equality of opportunity. We will not discriminate unlawfully when selecting candidates for internships. REDRESS will ensure that each candidate is assessed only in accordance with the candidate’s merits, qualification and ability to perform the relevant duties required and against fair skills criteria. REDRESS expects everyone to respect the rights of the individual to enjoy a workplace free from prejudice, harassment and discrimination.
REDRESS encourages disclosure of disability by candidates to the internship programme without prejudice. We believe this information enables staff to ensure that health and safety issues are considered and offers the opportunity to explore any additional needs applicants may have. All information will remain confidential to the REDRESS team.
No calls please.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
87 Vauxhall WalkLondon, England SE11 5HJUnited Kingdom
December 30, 2021
- Public Advocacy
- WEEKDAYS, PART_TIME