Translator Tour Guide
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Fundación En Vía
Fundación En Vía is a non-profit organization based in Oaxaca City, Mexico. Our mission is to promote women’s empowerment, the well-being of their families and the strengthening of communities through participatory programs that encourage the growth of income generating businesses and personal development. We work toward this mission through three main programs: Microfinance, Education and Responsible Tourism.
Tours are a crucial and important part of the organization as it provides the funds for the Microfinance and Education Programs. Tour Guides are the face of the organization to our tour participants, and help connect travelers with women who are receiving interest-free loans. They are responsible for introducing tour participants to the ideas of Microfinance, our program and model, the communities we work with and the women in our program.
The Translator Guide interprets the conversations with the women. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to make a big impact and create a lasting connection to women in Oaxaca. There is room to grow professionally and personally in leadership, presentation skills, fundraising and interpersonal skills, plus the opportunity to improve Spanish language skills within the rich cultural community of Oaxaca, Mexico.
We currently have tours on Thursdays from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in 6 communities within the Tlacolula Valley: Santa María Guelacé, San Sebastián Abasolo, San Juan Guelavía, Teotitlán del Valle, San Marcos Tlapazola and San Miguel del Valle. We also have private tours on different days.
● Preparing materials.
● Guide groups of 4-12 travelers in the tour.
● Interpret the presentations of the women in our program to tourists (very informal interpreting).
● Facilitate and translate conversations between tour participants and the women in our program and their families.
● Build relationships with the women in our program and ensure there is a positive and respectful relationship between the tour group and them.
● Fluent English and Spanish.
● Excellent people skills: outgoing, friendly, warm and professional.
● Excellent communication and social skills
● Ability and passion for building relationships with individuals from different backgrounds
● Good judgment, good awareness, strong initiative
● The ability to work well both independently without supervision and in a team
● Good energy and enthusiasm
● Weekly commitment: 1-2 tours per week (6-7 hours each, plus 1-2 hours of preparation and 1 hour of follow up).
● Monthly guide meetings (2 hours per month).
● Minimum 4-6 months (or longer).
● There is no cost to volunteer with our organization.
● This is an unpaid volunteer position. At this time, En Vía doesn’t provide assistance with housing or living costs, but we can give you recommendations of housing in or around the city.
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
c/o Instituto Cultural OaxacaAvenida Juarez 909, Colonia CentroOaxaca, OAX 68000Mexico
December 30, 2021