Ease a Hospice Patient's End-of-Life - As a Vigil Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Amedisys Hospice - Kansas City MO
For most hospice patients and their families, one of their deepest wishes is to have someone who can provide a caring bedside presence as the patient actively transitions toward death. For some patients, the family is able to provide this loving presence during the entire time of this transition. But for some patients the family either cannot be at the patient’s bedside for every hour of the dying process, or the patient may not have family members who are nearby or who are involved in their lives.
Vigil volunteers help support hospice patients and their families during these profound final hours of a patient’s life. They might just sit quietly and provide a compassionate presence. They might help the patient relax by encouraging deep breathing, using guided meditation, playing comforting music, or providing a gentle touch of the hand if the patient is willing.
They might sing softly, actively listen, respond empathically to whatever the patient communicates, and provide support and reassurance in other ways. Their presence also supports the family by giving family members a break to relax or handle other details.
Amedisys Hospice seeks volunteers who wish to join our vigil team to provide this essential support to hospice patients and families. To learn more about this special volunteer role, please contact Laura O’Brien at
- Volunteers may choose to focus exclusively on vigil volunteering or may prefer to serve as both general hospice volunteers and vigil volunteers as the vigil need arises.
- Vigil volunteers may sign up for whatever shift length they can provide.
- Vigil volunteering can be a wonderful fit for someone who wishes to support hospice patients but cannot commit to a regular schedule.
- By its very nature the need for vigil support varies by patient and arises at unexpected times. While vigil volunteers are not required to help provide vigil for every patient, we do ask that you be willing to sign up for shifts several times throughout the year.
- A one-year commitment is required.
Amedisys serves patients in the Greater Kansas City Metro Region and outlying communities in both Missouri and Kansas. A background check, TB test and COVID-19 vaccination are required.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Kansas City, MO 64114
December 30, 2021