Livingston General Administration Volunteer Opportunity
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Long Way Home, Inc.
About The Organization
Long Way Home is a 501(c)3 that envisions communities equipped to innovate and act responsibly in the face of local and global challenges. Through promoting green building, employment, and education, Long Way Home mobilizes people to actively participate in democracy and create innovative pathways to economic and environmental justice.
Since 2009, the focus of the organization has been on building an 18-building green-designed campus in San Juan Comalapa, Guatemala. We've used more than 450 tons of trash and over 15,500 tires in our construction so far! On the campus, we serve 140 K-11 students who study a curriculum that integrates project-based learning and the green building process to cultivate employability and democratic participation skills for a 21st century, climate-stressed world. In addition to education, we train and employ local green builders who carry out our many green construction projects in Comalapa and throughout Guatemala. Long Way Home is entering a new phase as we expand our Hero School Model beyond Comalapa. We are currently developing affiliate Hero Schools in India, Zimbabwe and Livingston, Guatemala.
About The Volunteer Opportunity
Long Way Home is looking for an enthusiastic remote volunteer to help get LWH Livingston off the ground. In the long term, we aim to replicate our existing Comalapa Hero School model in Livingston. Your volunteering work will be critical to realising this goal before our first volunteers to arrive on site in March/April 2022. In advance of this date, we need somebody who can assist in a variety of administrative tasks, such as managing our social media accounts, dealing with general enquiries and conducting online research related to Livingston. Most important will be ensuring that our existing policies are adhered to, and so you will be tasked with adapting LWH’s existing documentation (our protocols, procedures, and HR documentation) to LWH Livingston. This position will work alongside our Development Director and LWH Livingston’s Volunteer Coordinator. The Livingston General Administration volunteer position is an exciting and unique opportunity for anyone pursuing a career in non-profit/NGO management, social work, community organizing or political science.
At least 2 months, ideally for longer.
· Managing LWH Livingston’s social media accounts.
· Ensuring that LWH Comalapa’s protocols and procedures are adhered to through replicating and adapting our existing documentation.
· Dealing with general enquiries.
· Conducting online research related to Livingston.
· Managing LWH Livingston’s Google Drive folders.
· Coordinating the opening of LWH Livingston to volunteers in March/April 2022.
· Attending Staff Meetings.
· University Educated (desirable).
· Intermediate Spanish is mandatory for this position in order to communicate with CETC staff, as well as to assist with translation/interpretation tasks.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office packages and experienced using Google Drive.
· Experience managing social media is preferable.
· Strong copywriting and editing skills
· A self-starter (comfortable working with little direct supervision).
· Good attitude, team player, motivation to help out and be flexible.
· Highly organized.
· Enthusiasm for LWH’s mission and work.
· Attention to detail and commitment to top-quality, self-driven work (comfortable working with little direct supervision).
· Develop intercultural and interdisciplinary teamwork skills.
· Gain insights into opportunities, risks, and limitations for achieving quality education, economic justice, and environmental health in marginalized communities.
· Have opportunities to increase Spanish language proficiency.
· Understand the social and professional "do’s" and "don’ts" of living and working in a new culture. Proficiency in writing professional reports to address identified challenges and provide workable solutions.
· Develop skills and competencies that transfer to hypothetical future work situations.
· Gain an understanding of NGO administration and its day-to-day operations.
Approximate Hours Per Week
Upon successful completion of the volunteer opportunity, the candidate is offered:
· Free admission (food and transport excluded) to our 1 month long Green Building Academy in March/July. Lodging included - https://www.lwhome.org/academy
OR one month of free housing at our volunteer house
· Completion certificate
· 25% OFF LWH shirts
· Cover Letter
Please send these to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
508 Mountain Prospect LaneCulpeper, VA 22701
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, PART_TIME