Ease a Hospice Patient's End-of-Life Transition - As a Vigil Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
For most hospice patients and their families, one of their deepest wishes is to have someone who can provide a caring bedside presence as the patient actively transitions toward death. For some patients, the family is able to provide this loving presence during the entire time of this transition. But for some patients the family either cannot be at the patient’s bedside for every hour of the dying process, or the patient may not have family members nearby or who are involved in their lives.
Vigil volunteers help support hospice patients and their families during these profound final hours of a patient’s life. They might just sit quietly and provide a compassionate presence. They might help the patient relax by encouraging deep breathing, using guided meditation, playing comforting music, or providing a gentle touch of the hand if the patient is willing.
They might sing softly, actively listen, respond empathically to whatever the patient communicates, and provide support and reassurance in other ways. Their presence also supports the family by giving family members a break to relax or handle other details.
Amedisys Hospice seeks volunteers who wish to join our vigil team to provide this essential support to hospice patients and families. To learn more about this special volunteer role, please contact Laura O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org.Additional information:
- Volunteers may choose to focus exclusively on vigil volunteering or may prefer to serve as both general hospice volunteers and vigil volunteers as the vigil need arises.
- Vigil volunteers may sign up for whatever shift length they can provide.
- Vigil volunteering can be a wonderful fit for someone who wishes to support hospice patients but cannot commit to a regular schedule.
- By its very nature the need for vigil support varies by patient and arises at unexpected times. While vigil volunteers are not required to help provide vigil for every patient, we do ask that you be willing to sign up for shifts several times throughout the year.
- A one-year commitment is required.
- Amedisys serves patients in the Greater Kansas City Metro Region and outlying communities in both Missouri and Kansas.
- A background check, TB test and COVID-19 vaccination are required.
About Amedisys Hospice
9001 State Line Rd. #120, Kansas City, MO 64114, US
Why We Are Here: We honor those we serve with compassionate home health, hospice, and personal care services that apply the highest quality clinical practices toward allowing our patients to maintain a sense of independence, quality of life and dignity. Our Values: SERVICE - Remember why we are here PASSION - Care and serve from the heart INTEGRITY - Do the right thing, always RESPECT - Communicate openly and honestly INNOVATION - Influence and embrace change TALENT - Invest in personal and professional growth
Every day of life matters. At Amedisys, we view hospice services as a means for allowing people to make the very most of their time, even when faced with life-limiting circumstances. This compassionate care is provided in the comfort of your own home - wherever you call home. Our care is about people helping people, and our team of hospice experts goes to great lengths to help our patients and their loved ones live each day to its fullest. Our approach is so much more than our experienced medical guidance. We foster genuine personal connections that offer emotional, psychological and spiritual support - taking an active role in the interests that bring joy.
Volunteers are essential members of our hospice team. Ask any of our patients, and they’ll likely tell you the volunteers who visit them touch their hearts. They look forward to the visits and the compassionate caring volunteers bring.
If you have a passion for caring for others and are looking for a way to make a difference in people’s lives, consider joining our Amedisys Hospice volunteer team. We have offices in Kansas City, Missouri and Lenexa, Kansas and serve patients on in our region on both sides of the state line. Your passion and talents
Multiple locations Kansas City, MO 64114
December 28, 2021
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- One-year commitment required. Volunteers are requested to sign up for at least six vigil shifts per year.
- COVID-19 vaccine required. Two-step TB test (paid for by Amedisys) required.