Pigeon Care/Aviary Cleanup Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Our rescued pigeons need you! Between our physical rescue location and foster volunteers we are still caring for over 400 birds right now! Most of our pigeons are survivors of the pigeon racing industry that leaves 60% of the birds being "raced" (identifiable by bands on their legs) lost, injured, starving, and dying. This year we have received higher numbers of birds in need of rescue and rehabilitation than ever before.
We are looking for people who enjoy hard but rewarding work and the satisfaction that comes from watching the birds munch on their fresh seed, bathe in their fresh water and relax in their clean home when your shift is done.
Volunteer tasks include:
- Changing puppy pads in cages
- Washing dishes
- Providing fresh food and water
- Power washing trays and floors
- Assisting with special projects
- Monitoring bird health
- Swapping eggs with fake eggs
You will receive training and initially work alongside an experienced volunteer. No experience is necessary. Days and times can be flexible.
We have opportunities for all abilities. Please see our other listings.
About GREAT LAKES PIGEON RESCUE
207 E OHIO ST #364, CHICAGO, IL 60611, US
To save the lives of homeless domestic and non-releasable pigeons and doves in the Great Lakes region, who otherwise would face euthanasia or a slow death from lack of care, by providing foster homes, adoption services, medical treatment, and compassionate education about the need for pigeon and dove rescue.
To address the absence of rescue and adoption services for pigeons and doves in the Great Lakes region. To enhance awareness of the suitability of rescued pigeons and doves as pets, especially as an alternative to the exotic pet trade. To advocate for pigeons and doves, and in doing so foster compassion for all living creatures.
Multiple locations Saint Charles, IL 60175
December 16, 2021
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- We don't have a minimum requirement, but we hugely appreciate volunteers being able to commit to twice a month or even more! A full shift providing bird care can take up to four hours. We have other opportunities that require less time to complete.
- The ability to carry buckets of water, go up and down steps, bend and stoop is helpful. Volunteers should be able to work in an unheated indoor space. We also have opportunities in a climate controlled space that do not require physical exertion.