As locals deploy for tornado relief, can you pitch in close to home?
Please visit the new page to apply.
We're seeing the impact of major weather-related disasters in the Midwest. Our amazing volunteers have already deployed to offer immediate relief. So, we need some help from new volunteers who can be on standby in our area for neighborhood emergency relief.
Heating is a major cause of home fires during the holidays as temperatures drop outside. Red Cross volunteers can step in to offer affected families and individuals some help in the immediate aftermath. We have the resources. But, the disaster services teams urgently need volunteers. Here are a few key roles:
POSITION: Disaster Duty Officer (VIRTUAL)
The Disaster Duty Officer plays a critical role in keeping the team on track behind-the-scenes. This is a virtual assignment that requires an ability to work with computers, phones, and similar technology.
- Standby for disaster notifications from call centers (usually a home fire).
- Check with local Emergency Management to determine how we can help.
- Use our software platform to deploy qualified volunteers.
- You’ll need access to a computer/phone for data entry, messaging, and searching.
- Handle requests from the field team for resources. Multi-task in a stressful environment.
- Sign up for two, 6-hour on-call, shifts each week. Attend an hour-long monthly meeting.
- Must be 18+ years of age.
POSITION: Disaster Action Team Member (IN-PERSON RESPONSE)
Disaster Action Teams provide 24-hour emergency response to local disasters, particularly house fires, ensuring those affected have access to food, shelter, and clothing.
- Respond to fires, floods, or other emergency events.
- Connect with affected families/individuals and assess their needs. Then, report back to team.
- Enter client information into online portal. Comfort with computers/tablets is necessary.
- Sign up for 6-hour on-call shift each week, standing by to respond to emergencies.
- DAT membership is evaluated & renewed annually, based on performance.
- Must be 18-years of age with a valid driver’s license.
- Complete and regularly update Red Cross provided training.
POSITION: Disaster Caseworker (VIRTUAL)
Families and individuals face the impact of a disaster long after the immediate danger has passed. Disaster Caseworkers follow up to assess ongoing needs and refer clients to resources that can help them continue to recover.
- Interview new clients for a case file. Need reliable internet, comfort with phone/computer.
- Connect qualified clients with financial or other types of assistance.
- Provide Follow-up and Recovery Planning Services.
- Make Internal & Community Referrals for problem-solving.
- 8-hour shifts during a disaster relief operation, potentially working consecutive days.
- Must be 18+ years of age with a valid driver’s license.
- 9-hours virtual training required.
*In an ever-changing world, inquire about virtual opportunities at the time you speak to our team for the latest update on any position. Federal COVID-19 protocols will be followed.
APPLY & EXPLORE: https://volunteerconnection.redcross.org/?nd=lead&a=3288&h=234&p=1682019
Still have questions?
The American Red Cross relies on volunteers just like YOU! This is a fulfilling opportunity to meet other volunteers and play a vital role in making sure every community has a disaster team ready for emergencies. If this opportunity isn't the right fit, we have many others! Connect with us through the email or phone number above! Thank you for considering volunteering. Your time can make a world of difference in someone’s life.
About American Red Cross - Eastern New York Region
33 Everett Road, Albany, NY 12205, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether its one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
Multiple locations Oswego, NY 13126
January 25, 2022
- Disaster Relief Care & Shelters
- Disaster Response
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- See descriptions of different roles listed.
- The Red Cross adheres to Federal COVID-19 protocols. Vaccination status can affect eligibility for roles involving direct interaction with others.