Pet Therapy Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Hospice of the West
Please visit the new page to apply.
This opportunity will support patients all over Maricopa County. Please read the qualifications below.
Pet teams (owner and pet) must qualify for participation through one of the following options.
1. Be currently certified with one of the following pet therapy organizations. Must maintain certification with the organization.
- Pet Partners - https://petpartners.org/ - Any pet certified by this organization may participate.
- Alliance of Therapy Dogs - https://www.therapydogs.com/
- Therapy Dogs International - http://www.tdi-dog.org/
- Pass AKC Canine Good Citizen Test from PetSmart (provide copy of certificate); Cost - $20 if passed
- After passing AKC CGC Test, successfully complete Therapy Dog Training class offered by PetSmart. A 1-hour class per week for six weeks (provide copy of certificate of completion); Cost - $129
- Must complete CGC annually.
About Hospice of the West
21410 N. 19th Avenue.,, Ste 100, Phoenix, AZ 85027, US
Hospice of the West is committed to serving the unique needs of those with life limiting illnesses as well as providing ongoing support to their families and loved ones through our belief in hospice and palliative care with compassion. We are committed to fulfilling this mission through the collaboration of a dedicated comprehensive team approach that will ensure excellence in our delivery of end of life care, while maintaining financial stewardship and accountability. Hospice of the West is privileged to provide continuing support and education to the caregivers and professionals in the community where we serve our patients.
Would you like to give the gift of helping someone with a life-limiting illness live their life to the fullest? We warmly invite you serve as a volunteer with us at Hospice of the West. Please join our hospice family in providing comfort and companionship by sharing your time and talents with our special hospice patients.
Your hospice family is here to guide, encourage and cheer you on in this rewarding journey. The Hospice of the West family appreciates your decision to offer your time and talents to our patients and their families. We are honored to work side by side with you in such a special area of end-of-life care.
WHAT DOES A VOLUNTEER DO?
There are many different types of volunteers and many ways to get involved. Below is a list of volunteer types:
Companionship or meaningful presence
Light meal preparation
Arts and crafts
Play therapy (games)
Administrative (clerical tasks, office errands, organization of events)
Interpreter service (including sign language)
Minor home repairs
Contact the Volunteer Coordinators at Volunteer.Coordinators@hospicewestaz.com
21410 N. 19th Ave., St. 100Phoenix, AZ 85027
November 30, 2022
- Patient Care
- Hospice Care
- Animal Therapy
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 hours a week or bi-weekly.
- If the pet team meets the pet therapy qualifications, the person will complete all regulatory requirements for hospice volunteering: Application, background check, drug screen, TB test, and annual training.