5 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: SUMMERHOUSE HOUSTON
Please visit the new page to apply.
5 people are interested
Summerhouse offers community-based day services and supported employment services to adults with IDD. Members of our day services spend time in the community volunteering and participating in social activities, classes, exercise, and more in a low member-to-staff ratio.
Working together to make a significant and purposeful difference in the lives of all our young adults is at the core of everything we do at Summerhouse. Volunteers make up significant part of our mission. Your contributions of time, talent and treasure make a life transforming difference in the lives of our young adults at Summerhouse Houston. In the process, our Volunteers also experience love and fulfillment as they serve side-by-side with our young adults and all who engage with our mission.
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE
The program volunteer’s primary role is to support program design and implementation for Summerhouse Houston (SHH) members. The volunteer works closely with program staff to oversee creative, customized programming daily to provide high quality and impactful program services. If you or your team would like to work directly with our young adults, this is for you! Participate in our social and vocational activities and support members in achieving their goals.
- Support members in developing social, emotional, daily living and professional skills through modeling, encouragement, and positive behavior supports.
- Supervise and support SHH members in carrying out and engaging in activities.
- Foster a professional and respectful environment, honoring our members as capable adults with the capacity to engage, to grow, and to develop new skills.
- Comply with all SHH policies and procedures.
- Pass a background check
- Reliable transportation preferred, volunteers need to be able to get to Summerhouse Houston or the location of the activity independently. If the volunteer does not have own transportation and meets at Summerhouse Houston, then he/she would need to participate in activities in which there is available space in Summerhouse Houston vans/cars
- Maintain regular communication via text or email with Summerhouse Houston staff
- Highly flexible and demonstrate patience as plans and ideas evolve to meet the needs of members
- Outgoing, a creative thinker, and willing to actively engage with young adults of varying abilities
- Previous experience and/or passion for working with person with IDD/autism
- Able to pass background check
- Able to lift up to 50lbs
Initial training and orientation will be provided, as well as additional support and training to be developed as the program grows.
A commitment to at least 1 daytime/weekday activity per semester (fall, spring, or summer); 2-3 hours/week is preferred.
To become a volunteer, please fill out the application here: https://form.jotform.com/212556416797163
Please note that this opportunity is for the Summerhouse Houston day program and the available hours to volunteer are between 8 am - 5 pm. If you would like to volunteer at our upcoming events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About SUMMERHOUSE HOUSTON
1424 WASECA ST, HOUSTON, TX 77055, US
To support adults with IDD, their families, and our community through employment, volunteerism, and partnerships to foster a culture of belonging, choice, and respect.
Summerhouse was founded in 2011 by a mother, Donna Fruge, who has a daughter with an intellectual disability named Summer. The family could not find the right next step for Summer after high school. They wanted Summer to stay connected with her community and continue to develop work, social, and life skills, so Summerhouse was created. Since then, the program has grown into a one-of-a-kind service in our community. We develop strong relationships with our members, their families, and our community partners to promote the meaningful inclusion of adults with IDD in the Greater Houston area. We believe that our community is stronger when everyone participates.
Summerhouse offers community-based day services and supported employment services that are driven by the interests, needs, and strengths of those we serve. Members of our day services spend time in the community doing activities of their choice, including volunteering and participating in social activities, classes, exercise, and more. We offer a low member-to-staff ratio that allows our highly trained staff to best support our members.
1424 Waseca StHouston, TX 77055
August 2, 2022
- Adult Education
- Special Needs
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- A commitment to at least 1 daytime/weekday activity per semester (fall, spring, or summer); 2-3 hours/week is preferred.(program hours are Monday-Friday 8 am-5 pm)