The Girls Inc. Pathfinders Program is a mentoring program devoted to providing one-on-one female support to girls in need of social development, recreational opportunities, and emotional support. Our mentors get to assist their mentees develop and achieve positive academic, career, and personal goals. This fun, rewarding opportunity is perfect for community members looking to give back in a long-term, individualized way!
· A sincere desire to contribute to the growth and development of a young girl, and an enjoyment in working with youth
· An ability to communicate appropriately, openly, and without judgment
· Practical problem solving skills
· Strong listening skills
· Commitment to continually work on establishing and growing a relationship
· An ability to suggest alternatives in a respectful and collaborative way
· Sensitivity to persons of different educational, economic, cultural, and racial backgrounds
Responsibilities, Commitment, and Support
· Make a minimum 12-month commitment to developing and maintaining a relationship with a mentee
· Meet with your mentee for at least 4 hours a month to establish a relationship
· Maintain weekly contact with your mentee via phone, e-mail, text, postcards, etc.
· Attend a 2 hour in-person training session as well as ongoing mentor training and support sessions
· Communicate with program staff monthly and complete brief monthly activity reports via e-mail
· Attend optional mentor/mentee group events, community service activities, and program recognition events
· At least 19 years of age.
· Pass an annual background check.
· Access to an automobile (strongly recommended) or have reliable and safe transportation to transport your mentee. For drivers, provide proof of insurance.
· A willingness to communicate with program staff regularly throughout the program year to receive support and supervision during the time you are matched with your mentee.
Pathfinders Mentoring Coordinator
Phone: (402) 457-4676 ext.1110
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Girls Incorporated of Omaha
2811 N 45TH ST, OMAHA, NE 68104, US
Inspiring all girls to be Strong, Smart and Bold.
Girls Incorporated of Omaha provides educational, recreational and cultural opportunities after school and all summer long for girls ages 5-18.
We have two centers - one in North Omaha and one in South Omaha. We provide safe, reliable transportation from area schools to our centers. We do "pick ups" from over 40 local schools. Our centers have libraries, teen centers, libraries, and computer labs. On an average school day, we serve 180 to 200 girls. During the summer months, that number swells to near 300 daily. We serve over 1,000+ girls yearly. We provide gender-specific programs in the following core areas: Career & Life Planning; Health & Sexuality; Leadership & Community Action; Sports & Adventure; Self Reliance & Life Skills; and Culture & Heritage.
Every day after school we provide homework support and tutoring. We provide a hot meal during the school year. During the summer we provide breakfast, lunch, and snacks. We offer individual and family counseling. We are staffed with caring adults who can create a nurturing, positive environment for the girls.
2811 N 45th StreetOmaha, NE 68104
November 22, 2021
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- At least 4 hours each month