3 people are interested
Runner, Leader, & Dog-Lover Needed!
3 people are interested
Purpose: The Jog-a-Dog program is designed to help our higher energy dogs get additional exercise. Pairs or small groups of volunteers go together on a jog; between 1-2 miles at designated offsite routes. We are looking for an enthusiastic volunteer to help build comradery and consistency within the program!
- Meet with all other runners in the volunteer office at beginning of shift
- Prepare supplies needed for the jog
- Select from the JAD program approved dogs only
- Return supplies and dog to their kennel or habitats
- Spot clean Jog-a-Dog candidate kennels and habitats
- Pick-up and dispose of animal waste
- The lead role helps to provide ongoing support specifically in these areas:
- Safe transport
- Mentoring new Jog-a-Dog volunteers
- Entering/exiting kennels/habitats and shelter
- Ensuring all safety protocols are followed before, during, and after runs
- Providing ongoing coaching and dog behavior tips as needed
- Making sure water bowls are washed and harnesses and leashes have been laundered
- Assist with maintaining the schedule and communicate with volunteers if there are scheduling updates
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Dependability and timeliness to update shifts on our volunteer management system.
- Comfortable and skilled at giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Enjoys working with volunteers in a teaching capacity.
- Keep up-to-date and follow all East Bay SPCA procedures and policies.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Experience with positive reinforcement training preferred!
09:30 AM to 11:30 AM
Shifts available on Saturdays/Sundays
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About East Bay SPCA
8323 Baldwin Street, Oakland, CA 94621, US
The East Bay SPCA is committed to the welfare of cats and dogs in the communities we serve. We strive to eliminate animal cruelty, neglect and overpopulation by providing programs and education that support people and companion animals.
The East Bay SPCA has been an innovator in animal welfare for over 125 years providing shelter, health care, and adoption services for unwanted animals since 1874. We are committed to finding homes for adoptable cats and dogs, providing affordable veterinary and spay/neuter services, and educating the public on responsible pet ownership. We are the oldest animal welfare organization in the East Bay and operate two animal shelters and three clinics, serving Alameda and Contra Costa counties.
8323 Baldwin St.Oakland, CA 94621
November 17, 2021
- Program Management
- Animal Care / Handling
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours per week; Jog-a-Dog runs are held on Saturdays & Sundays from 9:30am – 11:30am
- We are looking for a volunteer interested in a leadership role looking to grow and make a long-term commitment with the organization!