OMSI After Dark Education Facilitator
POSITION TITLE: OMSI After Dark Education Facilitator
REPORTS TO: Public Programs Coordinator
LOCATION: OMSI on Water Avenue
POSITION SUMMARY: OMSI After Dark Education Facilitators connect with life-long
learners at OMSI After Dark, an evening event just for adults, by engaging guests
with educational demos and providing customer service at the museum. Because
these events have a variety of themes, duties may vary considerably. Flexibility
with event plans and enthusiasm for education are a must. Volunteers will be able
to enjoy OMSI After Dark from an insider's perspective! Must be 21 or older.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Implement new activities and demonstrations with guests, ranging from
arts and crafts to physics and engineering, depending on the needs of the
● Assist with set-up and clean-up procedures for activities and
● Interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from OMSI
demonstrations, exhibits and lab activities.
● Assist in maintaining a safe and secure environment for visitors and staff.
● Give clear directions and provide information about activities happening
throughout the museum.
● Assist Public Programs Coordinator with research and development of
educational demonstrations as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
● Strong communication and customer service skills.
● Skillful in facilitating hands-on interactions and translating scientific
information accurately and age-appropriately.
● Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a noisy and
● Able to listen and communicate effectively with people of diverse
backgrounds and ages.
● Dependable and punctual.
● Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
● Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
SCHEDULE AND SUPPORT:
● OMSI After Dark events are typically on the last Wednesday from 5:30pm
to 10:00 pm each month, but days may vary depending on the topic.
● Due to the training involved, volunteers should plan to be at a minimum of
4-6 events over the course of 1 year.
Attend the following trainings or classes:
○ Volunteer Orientation
○ COVID-19 safety training
○ Position-specific training
● Training opportunities and a lifelong learning experience.
● Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based
● An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer
● Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
● The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
All are welcome at OMSI.
OMSI is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
November 15, 2021
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- OMSI After Dark events are typically on the last Wednesday from 5:30pm to 10:00 pm each month, but days may vary depending on the topic. ● Due to the training involved, volunteers should plan to be at a minimum of 4-6 events over the course of 1 y
- To apply or learn more, visit our website at www.omsi.edu/volunteer