Science Pub Greeter
Position Title: Science Pub Greeter
Reports To: Events Manager
Location: Museum on Water Ave
POSITION SUMMARY: Science Pub Greeters volunteers support adult education by partnering
with OMSI’s Events team to support guests and presenters at Science Pubs in Portland.
Volunteers will be able to enjoy OMSI’s Science Pubs from an insider’s perspective! Most
Science Pubs take place in the evening and individuals are encouraged to commit to
volunteering for at least four hours each month with Science Pubs. Flexibility with event
plans and enthusiasm for education are a must! Must be 18 or older.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greet visitors and welcome them to the Science Pub
- Staff OMSI table by assisting guests with event donations ($5 suggested cover charge), selling pint glasses and answering questions
- Distribute and collect evaluation forms
- Pass microphone to guests during Q&A
- Assist with set-up as needed (may include setting out flyers, pint glasses, etc.)
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Interest in a wide variety of science and technology topics.
- Experience handling cash and credit card transactions.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Self-directed and willing to ask for help when needed.
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
SCHEDULE AND SUPPORT:
- Typical Schedule: Tuesday or Thursday evenings between 5:00 pm & 10:00 pm
- Minimum number of hours: 4 hours per event
- Attend the following trainings or classes:
- Volunteer Orientation & Safety Protocols
- Event-specific training per event
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based on availability.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
All are welcome at OMSI.
OMSI is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
November 15, 2021
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- Typical Schedule: Tuesday or Thursday evenings between 5:00 pm & 10:00 pm Minimum number of hours: 4 hours per event
- To apply or learn more, visit our website at www.omsi.edu/volunteer