Support Group Facilitator (Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers) - Oroville, CA
Support Group Facilitators lead or co-lead a support group for family members and caregivers seeking assistance, emotional support and information on all topics related to Alzheimer’s disease: caregiving from diagnosis through the continuum of care, legal issues, research and advocacy information and opportunities. The Association offers support groups for family caregivers, as well as specialized groups (e.g., early stage group, frontotemporal lobe dementia caregiver group).
The purpose of the Alzheimer’s Association support groups is to provide emotional, social, and/or educational support to group members.
- Follow expectations and recommendations of the Support Group Facilitator Manual, including participation in initial and ongoing training, record keeping, and regular meetings with Alzheimer’s Association staff
- Arrange for speakers/presenters for the support group as needed
- Encourage participants to provide assistance and emotional support to one another
- Present pertinent Alzheimer’s Association materials and information to group members
- Inform the Alzheimer’s Association in advance of any changes in Support Group Facilitators, time or location of group meetings
- Experience with dementia as a family member or health care professional preferred
- Ability to be empathetic and separate personal needs from group needs
- Strong listening skills and effective communication skills
- Ability to redirect and facilitate discussion as well as fulfill the duties and responsibilities as described in the Support Group Facilitator agreement
- Ability to create and maintain a safe environment where participant thoughts and feelings are valued and group members are treated with fairness, equity, and respect
- Commitment to promote the mission and services of the Alzheimer’s Association
- Willingness to act as an extension of the Alzheimer’s Association and to put other responsibilities and obligations aside when acting in this role
- Punctual and dependable
- Monthly 3-hour shift, depending upon the specific support group assigned
- A commitment of at least one year is expected
Training will be provided to all Support Group Facilitator volunteers.
Interns, volunteers and contractors are required to pass a background check before work commences. The Alzheimer’s Association believes that engaging qualified individuals in our mission contributes to the overall strategic success of the organization. Background checks are valuable in promoting a safe work environment for Association employees, interns, volunteers, contractors, donors and clients.
01:30 PM to 04:30 PM
Third Wednesday of each month
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Alzheimer's Association, Northern CA and Northern NV
2290 N. First Street, Suite 101, San Jose, CA 95131, US
The Alzheimer's Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care, support and research. Our mission: To eliminate Alzheimer's disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health. Our vision, A world without Alzheimer's disease.
We provide programs and support services for patients, families, caregivers, and others in the San Francisco Bay Area affected by Alzheimer's disease and related disorders. Outside the federal government, the Alzheimer's Association is the largest research funder in the country and offers advocacy opportunities to make public policy change.
At the Alzheimer's Association, diversity and inclusion are vital to our mission. The Association leads strategic initiatives to support diversity and a culture of inclusivity. These strategic initiatives also strengthen outreach to all populations, providing communities with resources and support to address the Alzheimer’s crisis. By partnering with organizations locally and nationally to advance diversity and inclusion, the Association can broaden its reach in all communities.
Multiple locations Oroville, CA 95965
November 28, 2021
- Family Therapy
- Elder care
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Life Coaching
- Social Work
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours per month