2 people are interested
Deck the Halls of The Actors Theatre Workshop!
2 people are interested
Date: Saturday, December 4th, 2021
Help decorate and beautify The Actors Theatre Workshop (ATW) in preparation for their two Annual Holiday Parties and Classes for 100 Homeless Children. Prepare the facility for their annual year-end celebrations of The Builders of the New World, ATW's award-winning after-school theater-arts education program, which has been serving homeless and at-risk youth living in NYC's temporary housing facilities since 1995.
- Assemble, repair and hang Christmas lights, garlands and wreaths around our lobby, hallways, studios and theater.
- Securely install, decorate and drape a Christmas tree.
- Do light cleaning - sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning windows and other surfaces, picking up and disposing of odd-shaped or odd-textured items that cannot be swept or vacuumed. Cleaning products used: Windex, Dirtex, Pine-Sol, Endust/Pledge, Goo Gone and other similar products with different brand names.
- Light lifting and climbing on a ladder or step stool is required for much of this work. We have 10’ ceilings and therefore use 6’ - 8’ ladders to hang decorations.
Other possible tasks:
- For volunteers comfortable using tools: small repairs include tightening screws, using a hammer and nails or a staple gun to fasten items.
- Assigning and wrapping gifts for the children.
- Organizing storage for excess supplies and donations. This would include lifting and moving boxes and furniture.
- Inventory for the children’s parties.
- Purchasing or picking up supplies. (ATW will provide cash).
Other important info:
- Volunteers must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination in advance. Masks will be worn.
- We will be videotaping and photographing for our archives, and will distribute Video Releases upon arrival.
- Participants must dress comfortably: sneakers / flat shoes and clothes they can move around in.
- Rooms may become crowded.
- Participants should arrive at 10am and stay for the whole event, until 3pm. Please do not sign up if you cannot stay the whole time.
- Participants with fir or pine tree pollen allergies should take allergy medication before arriving.
- Please bring a can-do attitude to the work for the day!
About The Actors Theatre Workshop
145 West 28th Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10001, US
ATW's mission is to teach individuals from all walks of life original creative techniques that provides them with the tools to change and to create new, original theatre that examines the conflicts that have emerged form today's cultural mix and creates hope for the fulfillment in the human experience.
Founded over two decades ago, the Actors Theatre Workshop is an established pioneer in non-profit theatre that produces classical and contemporary plays, develops new dramatic works, trains and develops actors, directors and writers while making a difference in the lives of at-risk youth and the community at large. Thurman E. Scott, ATW's artistic director, Executive Producer and Founder, is a widely acknowledged expert of artistic project development, an innovator of award-winning arts curriculums and programs for proffessional artistic training, and has a long and successful history of public service to culturaly under-served communities.
145 West 28th Street3rd FloorNew York, NY 10001
November 13, 2021