BOARD MEMBER for ACISS INC
African and Caribbean Immigration and Social Services Inc. (ACISS Inc.), is a 501(c)(3) grassroots service organization composed of a devoted and passionate team of legal, social services, and business professionals that extends a welcome to strangers and guides them through the immigrant integration process.
We are increasing the number on our Board of Directors and need one Member from the community with a strong commitment to our mission. Some of the Board's responsibilities are to:
1. Promote and protect the organization’s identity and integrity by governing the decisions that impact the organization and its commitment to the community.
2. Decide how the mission is implemented.
3. Develop Strategic Plan to ensure long-term goals are S-M-A-R-T (specific - measurable - attainable - realistic - time bound.
4. Ensure financial solvency.
5. Review and approve personnel policies.
6. Ensure federal, state and related compliances.
7. Appoint the Director.
8. Train regularly to effectively govern an immigration program.
9. Commit to 1 Annual Meeting in MD.
10. Commit to Emergency or Called Meetings regarding the organization’s wellbeing.
11. Commit to predetermined minimum contribution, currently 3 hours of training and 2.5 Service hours monthly.
About AFRICAN AND CARIBBEAN IMMIGRATION AND SOCIAL SERVICES INC
1700 POWDER MILL ROAD, SILVER SPRING, MD 20903, US
Mission is to provide comprehensive immigration and related social services to underserved immigrants through a holistic integration model.
It commenced as an unintended Violence Against Women's Act recognition in 2012. In the ensuing 2 years we appealed to community leaders to help bring awareness of domestic violence dominance in immigrant communities. We became proactive in the immigration/migration industry with one of the few organizations targeting African immigrants.
Consequently, we organized and registered ACISS, Inc. in Maryland on September 21, 2015. We provide legal services, counseling and therapy for female and male immigrant victims of domestic violence and other injustices (our services are not limited to these victims). Our vision is to impact immigrants’ quality of life via legal processes, business services and positive community integration. To effect this we are continuing our board development and will be submitting our application for accreditation of at least 1 non legal staff and recognition of our Silver Spring, Maryland site. We have a strategic plan to guide us into full operation to include community workshops, group counseling, transitional housing within 5 years. By 2017 ending we had assisted 190 families and individuals. We partner with a local church that provides our office space. We have 2 lawyers, 2 licensed clinical social workers, 1 licensed Christian counselor, under the operational leadership of the Executive Director.
1700 Powder Mill RoadSilver Spring, MD 20903
November 12, 2021
- Public Relations
- Strategic Planning
- Immigration Law
- Relationship Building
- Social Work
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 2.5 hours per month plus 3 hours of training annually.
- While prior experience on a Board is not required, interest in and familiarity with the immigrant experience is preferable.