115 people are interested
Virtual & In-Person ESOL Class Facilitator
ORGANIZATION: We Speak NYC
Please visit the new page to apply.
115 people are interested
OFFICIAL SIGN-UP FORM: https://a002-irm.nyc.gov/EventRegistration/RegForm.aspx?eventGuid=7d6f7829-b867-4acd-b461-e917c9281124
(This Volunteermatch listing is largely for promoting awareness and gauging interest- if you're ready to get started, please sign up with the official form above)
WSNYC is building a network of volunteers, organizations, and immigrants who want to practice English through weekly conversation classes. As a volunteer, you can help adult immigrants practice conversational English and learn about City services by leading a conversation group in a local community organization.
***Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age***
Once you sign up to lead a conversation group, you will be invited to a facilitator training. Upon completion of the training, you will be considered a trained volunteer facilitator, in which you commit to:
- Leading a conversation group at a location that matches your availability for 2 hours once a week for 7-10 weeks.
- Being paired with another volunteer (when possible) to facilitate a group of about 20 adult immigrants.
- Receiving and using free classroom materials.
- Representing a City Agency and showcasing city services to help empower immigrants
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About We Speak NYC
253 Broadway #4, New York, NY 10007, US
We Speak NYC (formerly We Are New York) is the City’s Free Supplemental English Language Learning Program. We Speak NYC organizes conversation groups that meet in 7-10-week conversation classes in all five boroughs and online. We aim to create a positive experience for all learners, utilizing community building and speaking to practical needs.
In person: WSNYC has engaged with 200+ partner sites and trained 700+ volunteers. These volunteers have facilitated over 750 in-person conversation classes for a total of 24.5K hours of community service and impacting over 15,000 learners.
Online: Having trained over 300 online volunteers, contributing more than 6,000 hours of community service, WSNYC has impacted 5,000+ unique learners since the onset of our remote classes. WSNYC has been able to reach learners from locations all across New York City and around the world.
Multiple locations New York, NY 10007
January 3, 2023
- General Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Basic Computer Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Facilitators commit to 2 hours a week of class time and around 30 minutes to 1 hour of preparation time.
- Facilitators should have a reliable computer with video conferencing capabilities (webcam and microphone) and internet connection for online classes. If leading an in-person class, willing to travel to a location/site within the 5 boroughs .