DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
Teen Tech Facilitator
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
P OSITION S UMMARY : Volunteers engage visitors to design and create projects in the Teen Tech Center (TTC). The TTC is a free multimedia and creative technology focused maker space specifically for ages 13-18. We provide space, materials, and support so teens can express themselves creatively and gain hands-on experience with high tech tools and programs. Successful volunteers will encourage youth to create through questions rather than lecture-style instruction, maintain a flexible outlook, and be ready to take on any challenge.
E SSENTIAL D UTIES AND R ESPONSIBILITIES :
- Encourage visitors to explore, collaborate, innovate, and create personal projects.
- Mentor teens by asking open-ended questions, co-investigating, and using other facilitation techniques to help promote exploration and innovation. ∙ Provide guidance if needed in the inspiration, resource gathering, and creation of daily projects and activities.
- Maintain the integrity and appearance of the space.
- Maintain a safe, secure, and inviting environment for visitors and staff.
R EQUIRED K NOWLEDGE /S KILLS :
- Eager to facilitate visitor-led and visitor-centered experiences.
- Excited about teaching and learning through play and experimentation. ∙ Comfortable with open-ended problem solving.
- Desire to communicate accurate science and technology content in an engaging way with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Self-motivated with strong communication and interpersonal skills, comfortable with actively engaging with 13-18 year olds in a positive, consistent manner.
- Passionate about tinkering, building, and making things with others. ∙ Dependable and punctual; ability to adhere to a regular schedule preferred ∙ Commitment to safety and willing to uphold OMSI rules and procedures.
P REFERRED K NOWLEDGE /S KILLS :
- Experience with creative technologies, including: Adobe Creative Suite, Pro Tools, Ableton, AutoCAD, Scratch, etc.
- Experience with arts/crafts including: sewing, embroidery, knitting, drawing, painting, etc.
S CHEDULE AND S UPPORT :
Typical Schedule: The TTC is open Tuesdays through Fridays from 2:30 pm to 7:00 pm and Saturdays from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Minimum hours: 8 hours a month. 4 hours every/other week
- Attend the following trainings or classes with OMSI:
- Volunteer Orientation
- Mandatory Reporter
- Area specific training
- Supervisor will provide ongoing training on Teen Tech Center equipment and software during the shifts.
V OLUNTEER B ENEFITS :
- Participation in an opportunity to provide input and feedback in the development of a new area of the museum.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
All are welcome at OMSI.
OMSI is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
1945 SE Water AvePortlandPortland, OR 97214
November 2, 2021
- Youth Services
- Visual Arts
- Music Arts
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- ∙ Typical Schedule: The TTC is open Tuesdays through Fridays from 2:30 pm to 7:00 pm and Saturdays from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm ∙ Minimum hours: 8 hours a month. 4 hours every/other week
- To apply or learn more, visit our website at www.omsi.edu/volunteer or contact Volunteer Engagement at 503.239.7814 or Volunteer@omsi.edu