Summa Akron Campus Wayfinding Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: VANTAGE Aging RSVP
Please visit the new page to apply.
Summary of Position: Volunteer will work in conjunction with a Patient Access staff member to provide Service Excellence by assisting and/or escorting patients and guests through the hospital to their destination. Volunteers will be trained to identify proper patient information through existing tools to ensure patient/guests are being escorted/directed to the correct location in the hospital. Help stock the information desk with supplies.
Nature and Scope:
All patients and guests must be greeted/acknowledged and offered assistance immediately upon entering the hospital and escorted to their specified location. Hospital guides serve as one of the first persons the patient/guest encounters upon entering the hospital and must be friendly, courteous and helpful in any means necessary. Hospital guides also must be aware of the entire hospital layout.
Wayfinding assignments may be available at information desks/ podiums located at the Williams Tower (main hospital entrance), 70 Arch Street, 75 Arch Street and/ or 95 Arch Street.
- Must attend Volunteer Service Orientation
- Position specific training provided by Patient Access Services
- Days: Monday thru Sunday
- Time Slots: 4 hour shifts between 8am- 8pm; schedules will vary depending on department assignment
- Give verbal directions and/ or escort/ transport patients and guests via wheelchair to proper destination, as needed.
- Prepare the wheelchair for the patient or guest by selecting the proper size of chair, locking the brakes and swinging footplates and leg rests out to allow easy access.
- Prepare the patient or guest for transportation by doing the following tasks:
- Performing appropriate hand hygiene using soap and water or hand sanitizer.
- Practice AIDET with each patient and guest of Summa Health System. Acknowledge the patient, Introduce yourself, Give the Duration of how long you will be assisting them, Give the patient or guest an Explanation of what you will be doing, and Thank them for choosing Summa.
- Offer arm to patient for assistance into the wheelchair, if needed.
- Reposition the wheelchair footplates and leg rests back and assisting patient or guest with positioning legs for highest level of comfort.
- Release brakes on the wheelchair after the patient or guest is settled in and comfortable in the wheelchair.
- Using both hands, begin the transportation of the patient or guest to their final destination, paying attention to the following techniques:
- Observe hallway traffic utilizing the hallway mirrors.
- Back wheelchairs into elevators and non-automatic doors.
- Push wheelchairs forward out of elevators and non-automatic doors.
- When a patient or guest reaches their final destination, complete the following tasks:
- Lock the brakes on the wheelchair.
- Swing footplates and leg rests out to allow easy exit for the patient or guest.
- Instruct guest to exit the chair and offer arm for assistance, if needed.
- Volunteers are required to stay with the patient seated in the wheelchair until a staff member has arrived to release the patient.
- Return the wheelchair to its original location.
- Please note: Volunteers are not permitted to handle oxygen tanks on wheelchairs, remove them, store them, etc. If a patient has an issue with an oxygen tank, volunteers should call a staff person to assist.
- If wheelchair is visibly soiled, contact Service Response at X56800 to have the chair properly cleaned.
- Stock desk with proper supplies
- Identify proper patient information through necessary means to ensure patient/guests are escorted/directed to the correct location in the hospital, if a staff member is not available (i.e computer programs, surgery schedules)
- Assist visitors and patients requesting SCAT and cab services
- Ensure wheelchairs are available in the area
- Assist in Service Recovery by handling patient/guest concerns when they arise. Contact Patient Access staff member when a concern or complaint has escalated.
- Other duties, as assigned
- Must pass criminal background check
- Must pass tuberculosis and immunization screening
- Ability to take instructions and communicate effectively with staff, patients and families
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written forms
- Ability to behave in a mature, positive manner and have a service-oriented attitude
- Ability to communicate clearly in English
- Ability to provide culturally competent and sensitive service for others
- Ability to show initiative, be flexible and volunteer independently
- Ability to have knowledge of the building in order to escort patients, families, visitors and patients to the appropriate area of the facility
- Ability to protect the privacy and confidentiality of all patients and guests
- Ability to be dependable and organized
- Ability to have a professional attitude and appearance at all times
- Medium: Exerts 20-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or ten to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force continuously to move objects.
- Opportunity to observe a healthcare setting
- Opportunity to learn new skills
- Reference source for future endeavors
102 More opportunities with VANTAGE Aging RSVP1 Review
About VANTAGE Aging RSVP
388 S Main St., Ste. 235, Akron, OH 44311, US
Promoting a positive perspective on aging.
VANTAGE Aging promotes positive aging through a variety of programs and services for older adults. Our nonprofit organization serves 38 counties and is headquartered in Akron, Ohio. In Summit and Medina Counties, we facilitate the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) for those 55 and older who want to make a meaningful impact in the community. We also offer employment training, home care and home health aide assistance, nutrition and home-delivered meal services, alcohol and drug addiction counseling, and mental health and prevention services.
141 North Forge StreetAkron, OH 44304
February 2, 2023
- Office Reception
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 55
- Days: Monday thru Sunday Time Slots: 4 hour shifts between 8am- 8pm; schedules will vary depending on department assignment