Abortion Fund Secretary
The New River Abortion Access Fund (NRAAF) is looking for board members - particularly those who are interested in the roles of Secretary or Treasurer. If you are passionate about reproductive health, rights, and justice, joining the board is a great way to get involved and gain leadership experience.
Based in Blacksburg, the New River Abortion Access Fund builds power and removes barriers to abortion access in Appalachia & Southwest Virginia. NRAAF operates a confidential helpline that provides financial and practical support (transportation, lodging, gas money, meals, child care, etc) to people who are seeking abortions and can't afford them.
We are working to build a future where all people have the information, autonomy and resources necessary to make empowered and dignified decisions about their bodies, sexual & reproductive health, and lives - including the decision to have an abortion - without shame or stigma and regardless of their race, religion, immigration or economic status.
We're an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) organization with a working board. Each member of the board is responsible for a specific role in the organization's operations. Time commitment varies depending on organizational needs. You can expect to spend a few hours each week on various projects; an average of 3-5 hours per week. This includes self-directed remote work and frequent communication via email and Slack.
Board members must attend remote monthly meetings and serve on or lead at least one committee/workgroup (finance, fundraising, communications, intake). An initial two-year commitment is required.
Visit our website at newriverabortionfund.org.
- Attend remote monthly board meetings
- Follow through on all tasks committed to at meetings
- Respond to emails from other board members within 24-48 hours
- Join at least one committee/workgroup and attend all committee meetings
- Make a meaningful annual financial contribution
- Actively participate in fundraising, including the annual Fund-a-Thon
- Complete intake training and at least two intake shifts
- Promote the organization within the local/online community
- Work within reproductive justice and anti-oppressive frameworks
- Actively engage in ongoing education about reproductive health, rights, and justice
- Attend trainings, conferences, networking opportunities, and special events
- Commit to an initial two-year term
NRAAF seeks to build a diverse board. We center the voices of those who are most affected by these issues. Women of color, LGBTQ folks, young people, low-income people, rural Appalachia/SWVA locals, and people who have had abortions are strongly encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Fill out the board application: https://forms.gle/yWyw9MDv9YkFCHgh7
Email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About NEW RIVER ABORTION ACCESS FUND
PO BOX 10701, BLACKSBURG, VA 24062, US
We fund abortion and offer practical support such as transportation and lodging in order to break down barriers to abortion access in Southwest Virginia.
New River Abortion Access Fund is an all-volunteer nonprofit organization that provides financial assistance and logistical support to low-income women who are seeking abortion services. The abortion fund serves Montgomery County, Giles, Floyd, Pulaski, Radford, Roanoke, and rural Southwest Virginia. Requests for funding are collected on our toll-free helpline and funding is sent directly to the clinic. Transportation is provided for patients who need help traveling to and from their appointment.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
October 22, 2021
- Strategic Planning
- Grant Writing / Research
- Resource Development / Management
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Orientation or Training
- 3-5 hours per week, monthly meetings, two-year term