2 people are interested
2 people are interested
Work in a real laboratory environment! SciLab experiments are self-guided, so the SciLab Assistant will act primarily as a support person for guests, as they complete up to 5 different lab activities. (Activities change from time to time, but might include DNA extraction, chemical reactions, cell membranes.)
- Introduce guests to SciLab and set them up at experiment stations
- Answer questions and provide assistance as guests complete self-guided lab activities
- Reset materials and equipment between groups, including (but not limited to) washing dishes and folding lab coats
- Enforce SciLab rules and general lab safety practices
- Ability to be friendly but firm to ensure guest safety
- Basic knowledge in biology and/or chemistry is helpful
- Some shifts may require extended periods of standing
- Training will be provided by SciLab staff, but the majority will happen on your first day of work, with additional training provided as various scenarios arise.
4-hour shifts are available Friday-Sunday.
Two consistent 4-hour shifts per month, for a minimum of six months. A willingness to volunteer for additional hours is always welcome!
- afternoon / 12:00 PM to 04:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Maryland Science Center
601 Light Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, US
We are the Maryland Science Center. We inspire. We empower. We engage. Let's science.
The Maryland Academy of Sciences is Maryland's oldest scientific institution and one of the oldest such institutions in the entire nation. At its inception in 1797, the Academy was an amateur scientific society - members met to discuss papers on astronomy, botany, zoology, and other subjects then known as the "natural sciences."
As the Academy continued its work through the 1800s and 1900s, the group searched for a permanent location to establish a space dedicated to interactive, hands-on learning. The vision became a reality with the opening of the Academy's Maryland Science Center in 1976.
Today, and for more than 40 years, the Maryland Academy of Sciences, through its programs and exhibits at the Maryland Science Center, has demonstrated a commitment to emphasize the importance of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). No other institution in the state reaches more teachers and students through onsite and outreach programming.
The Maryland Science Center invites you to join our Volunteer Program and celebrate science!
601 Light StreetBaltimore, MD 21230
October 20, 2021
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two consistent 4-hour shifts per month, for a minimum of six months