4 people are interested
Help Adults Learn English! Be a Volunteer ESL Classroom Assistant in Northeast Minneapolis!
4 people are interested
- No experience or diploma needed - we’ll provide all necessary training.
- English speakers of all levels are welcome and encouraged to volunteer.
- Must be 18 years old to volunteer.
- Ability to commit to 2-3 hours per week for at least 3 months required.
- We strongly encourage volunteers who are people of color, indigenous, immigrants and refugees, LGBTQIA2S+ and people with disabilities.
Volunteer ESL Classroom Assistant
Are you a looking for a way to help in your community? Do you want to help adult English Language Learners improve their ability to speak, listen, read, and write English? Then this might be the perfect opportunity for you! Literacy Minnesota is looking for volunteers interested in partnering with our Open Door Learning Centers and working with a Lead Teacher as a Classroom Assistant.
- Volunteers are paired with a teacher who follows a curriculum and leads the class.
- Provide individualized attention to students during class time and help with large and small group activities.
- Prepare for classes ahead of time by reviewing materials provided by the teacher, making copies of materials, and organizing the classroom.
- Work cooperatively with coordinators and other volunteers to meet the needs of the learners.
- Listen actively and encourage learner participation.
- After you begin your placement, we require volunteers to complete on-boarding training to be fully prepared to tutor.
- morning / 10:00 AM to 11:45 AM
- evening / 06:00 PM to 08:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Literacy Minnesota
700 Raymond Ave, Suite 180, St. Paul, MN 55114, US
Literacy Minnesota is the only statewide, nonprofit, volunteer literacy organization in Minnesota. As a leader and advocate for literacy, Literacy Minnesota provides a variety of cost-effective literacy-based services designed to help achieve the personal, educational and economic goals of Minnesotans.
Founded in 1972, Literacy Minnesota is Minnesota's only non-profit, volunteer-based, education provider that operates statewide. Through a network of over 100 community and school-based programs, we provide free classes for individuals lacking the most basic reading, writing and English-speaking skills. We serve both native-born Americans and refugees and immigrants.
1509 27th Avenue NortheastGustavus Adolphus Luteran ChurchMinneapolis, MN 55418
December 2, 2021
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 2 hours per week
- A commitment of at least 3 months.