DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Seeking Treasurer (Board Position) with Accounting Experience
DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
About Be Great Foundation:
Be Great Foundation is a Greensboro based 501c3 nonprofit who's mission is to alleviate income, wealth and opportunity disparity by facilitating and deploying STEM (science, engineering, technology and math) related content, events, and educational experiences aimed at helping people from marginalized backgrounds obtain steady and high paying employment, while starting the journey towards building generational wealth.
By empowering, educating and equipping people from marginalized backgrounds with practical skills and certifications in high demand STEM fields, careers, and businesses, we can enable these individuals to have a greater degree of career and life stability, flexibility, and palpability. In addition to providing service recipients with employable skills and aptitudes, we seek to allow them to do so in a cost-effective and/or debt-free approach that will help them avoid the all to common trap of mounting college debt and student loans.
Our programs include Drone Workshops, Game Development Workshops, App Development Workshops, Aviation Career Day, and more. We also provide scholarships for young adults ages 18-25 interested in obtaining technical certifications to improve their job prospecting options and obtain a career in a STEM field (primarily technology). We currently have two young men going through our Google Certification Support Program, and offer them weekly mentoring, resume prep, and job/interview coaching in addition to funding their coursework and certifications. We also host an annual 5K fundraiser, of which our first fundraiser brought in $5000 in sponsorships and donations. We are actively fundraising both for our general fund, and our scholarship fund.
About Treasurer Role
As this is a volunteer role, we are seeking someone who can assist and or provide occasional guidance with overall financial management of the organization.We are small, but rapidly growing and financial accountability is of utmost importance. As we prepare to seek grants and other funding opportunities, audited financial statements become an important factor in our ability to solicit funding. Thus, we are seeking someone with basic account experience, or experience as a Treasurer.
As Treasurer you may:
- Develop and enforce strong internal controls and financial management policies
- Ensure accurate and complete financial reporting and proper maintenance of financial records and information/tax returns
- Regularly assess risks and whether and how such risks should be mitigated
- Keep a calendar of filing requirements and deadlines and have clear assignments (with backups) to help ensure they are all met in a timely manner
- Have the organization’s financials audited whenever required or advisable
- Manage or oversee the management of the financial affairs of the organization, often including such basic tasks as selecting a bank, reconciling bank statements, and managing cash flow.
- The Treasurer should have thorough knowledge and understanding of the organization’s financial reports and important financial ratios. The Treasurer should keep the board apprised of key financial events, trends, and concerns, and her assessments of the organization’s fiscal health. The Treasurer is also generally responsible for completing, or ensuring the completion of, required financial reporting forms (including the IRS Form 990) in a timely manner and making these forms available for the board’s review.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About BE GREAT FOUNDATION INCORPORATED
900 HOBBS RD APT 124, GREENSBORO, NC 27410, US
We advocate for economic empowerment by educating, equipping, and exposing people from marginalized communities to the jobs and businesses of the future through STEM events and programming.
Black and Hispanic Americans, and people form other marginalized groups are twice as likely to be adversely impacted by the disruption of automation technologies such as artificial intelligence, autonomous devices, and the Internet of Things as counterparts of other races and cultures. Over 50% of all service based jobs are occupied by African Americans, though they only comprise 13% of the population in the United States. This disparity presents a mounting concern in an already wide gap in income, wealth, and economic opportunity.
Be Great Foundation Inc., a North Carolina based non-profit organization, was created to address such economic and opportunity disparities by advocating for STEM education, entrepreneurship and equity for underrepresented populations. We offer workshops, trainings, and resources aimed at helping individuals from underrepresented populations gain exposure to the skills of the future, while equipping them to create businesses and seek careers which embrace engineering and technology based approaches and paradigms.
111 West Lewis StreetGreensboro, NC 27406
October 15, 2021
- 1-3 hours per month