2 people are interested
Volunteer-Intern Social Media Coordinator
2 people are interested
Social Media Specialist - Volunteer/Intern
Position Summary: We are seeking a highly motivated volunteer-intern to assist in marketing to parents, teachers and the education ecosystem for Resource Area for Teaching (RAFT) in San Jose, CA - www.raft.net. The role includes assisting the Marketing & Communications Specialist and Marketing Director with all of our organization’s social media tasks, using the social media tools available to complete those tasks and other general marketing tasks to support marketing, retail/ecommerce and fundraising goals. The role is an unpaid position with limited hours (10 - 15 per week) and reports to the Marketing Director. This is an exciting position for someone with some social media and possesses excellent writing skills, willingness to learn the fundamentals of marketing and to gain experience working at a mission-based, non-profit organization. No direct social media management experience is necessary. This is a hands-on role where the volunteer-intern is expected to learn and apply their writing skills, creativity, critical thinking and hands-on learning experience with on-the-job training to their day-to-day tasks.
With direction from the Marketing Director and with hands-on training given by the Marketing & Communications Specialist , the individual will:
Social Media Content Management & Development
- Write copy, edit, and manage assets (including photos, video and other content) for digital assets including social media.
- Ensure all copywriting is edited by the Marketing & Communications Specialist and Marketing Director and reviewed by approved by other staff as needed.
- Maintain an editorial social media calendar for the Social Media channels.
- Use Social Media, Google Analytics and other reporting tools to provide insights.
- Support new and existing marketing initiatives by collaborating with Marketing, Operations, Education and Development teams.
- Apply our organization’s brand and style guidelines, messaging and other guides using Canva or other simple-to-use design tools.
Social Media Marketing
- With support from Marketing & Communications Specialist, work with Marketing, Education, Operations and Development teams to manage the Social Media Calendar.
- Develop posts including: copy writing and as needed graphics using Canva, video (low production).
- Ensure search optimization of social media posts using reporting tools in social media platform(s) and a soon-to-be implemented social media management system.
- Working on a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or Social Studies
- Proven experience managing their owned social media channels and content.
- Experience as a user (no marketing experience required) with these social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn
- Excellent organization and detail to detail.
- Very good verbal and excellent writing experience as demonstrated by their education/other work projects and samples.
- Team player with strong communication skills
- Demonstrated aptitude and enjoyment to learn new skills quickly
- Pluses: Familiar with website CMS: Wordpress or email (e.g. MailChimp)
This is an unpaid, volunteer-intern role. Our organization is requesting 10 - 15 hours a week commitment for 3+ months. The volunteer-intern can expect to learn best practices social media marketing, learn a new tool - Hootsuite - how to manage, measure social media and other marketing fundamentals. At the end of the assignment, if all deliverables/project work has met or exceeded the organization’s requirements the Marketing Director will provide the volunteer-intern with a professional recommendation.
Location: Once work/assignments/deliverables established (1 or 2 meetings in RAFT's San Jose office) work may be done remotely with regular check-ins with the Marketing team. For in-person meetings we ask that all visitors wear masks at all times, be vaccinated or have a negative Covid-19 test in the last 72 hours.
Interested candidates should email a resume and thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com that includes how you heard about the position and "Social Media Volunteer-Intern" in the subject line.
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About RAFT - Resource Area For Teaching
1355 Ridder Park Drive, San Jose, CA 95131, US
RAFT is a non-profit organization that believes hands-on teaching is the best way for teachers to teach and students to learn. We provide creative hands-on activities, educational resources, workshops and inexpensive materials, (many donated by local businesses), to enrich pre K-12 education and community group programs. Our goal is to assist teachers, non-profits and community groups, by providing materials and ideas for day-to-day teaching and for supporting professional growth.
Thanks to widespread participation from the community, RAFT is able to add significant value to donated items and provide teachers and community groups with creative strategies, practical tools, and low-cost materials for enhancing their hands-on teaching skills. The ideas and materials supplied by RAFT enable students to explore subjects such as math, science, and art through first-hand experience, bringing educational value to thousands of donated items.
It started with a simple idea that grew and evolved:
- What if every child experienced learning as a collaborative process, through fun, hands-on activities? What if every teacher had access to hands-on teaching materials and was trained on how to use them? What if we found a continuous stream of materials without the usual cost barriers?
- What if we did all this to advance education and provided ongoing programs for hands-on teaching?
Over the years, RAFT has developed into a thriving organization. Today, RAFT serves more than 6,800+ members throughout Silicon Valley. Our diverse educational services reach into the classroom and beyond, enriching the education of thousands of children each year. Using RAFT materials, kids pre-K-12 learn about math, science, art, and technology in fun and creative ways.RAFT Believes
- Classroom teachers and community leaders are the key to quality education.
- Children are naturally eager, interactive learners, and this trait must be nurtured.
- Hands-on teaching is a proven and preferred method of instruction.
- Teachers and community groups need a steady supply of materials for hands-on learning.
- Teachers need professional training opportunities to learn hands-on teaching techniques.
- Excess supplies from businesses are plentiful, and businesses want to give.
- Teachers need more opportunities to network and share ideas.
There's no place like RAFT.
RAFT is a "creative resource center," bursting with the creative energies of volunteers, teachers, and staff. Hundreds of members visit RAFT weekly. They come to explore the warehouse, take classes, share ideas, and discover unique treasures for teaching hands-on. Many walk away with a renewed sense of purpose and fun, not to mention a carload of materials they won't find anywhere else. Members save on art supplies, pre-assembled activity kits (with enough materials for 10-25 students), and rebuilt computers. They can view numerous displays, showcasing clever ideas for using RAFT materials (that fulfill State curriculum requirements), and participate in hands-on demonstrations. It's a magical experience that transforms the way teachers think about teaching and, ultimately, the way students learn. Take the Tour
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
October 13, 2021
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- 10 - 15 hours a week for 3 months