1 person is interested
Doctor? Nurse? EMT? - We need YOU! Join our Health Team!
1 person is interested
Disaster Health Services (DHS) provides emergency and preventive health services to disaster victims and to Red Cross Disaster Services staff assigned to provide disaster relief services. DHS is an integral part of Red Cross Disaster Services. Red Cross DHS, as a part of Red Cross disaster relief, supplements the existing service delivery system for community health care. Just as the Red Cross coordinates its overall disaster program with the community’s public safety and emergency efforts, Red Cross DHS must coordinate its efforts with those of the local health authorities and the medical and nursing communities. All activities and services provided by Red Cross DHS reflect quality health care and current professional health care standards.
All DHS personnel must have current driver’s license and/or certificate in their field.
* The DHS Volunteer assumes on-call duties, on a scheduled and emergency basis, responds to emergencies and performs other related duties as required.
* Willingness to support Red Cross Mission
* When required, be there at a disaster
* Attend required Disaster Course training
* Provide DHS services to disaster victims, emergency workers, and Red Cross disaster relief staff
* Provide services to victims who have moved from the disaster area into another chapter’s jurisdiction
* Support the Welfare Information (WI) function by providing casualty information in response to WI inquires
* Provide information and support to community health agency staff and private providers in the area affected by the disaster
* Provide health information and support to unaffected chapter workers going to and returning from disaster assignments beyond their chapter or jurisdiction
* Provide support to other mental health providers as necessary
* Provide initial response to aviation disasters, and provide on-going support to the Aviation Incident Response (AIR) Team
* Prepare and maintain reports of the function as required
* Participate in disaster services training programs and exercises, and perform disaster response duties as assigned, including serving "on-call" for Disaster Action Team (DAT) support
* Attend DAT meetings
Time Commitment: Any time between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday and/or evenings and weekends
·Successfully completed background check
·Access to reliable and timely transportation
·DHS personnel must possess one of the following (current) certifications of licensure to be assigned to this function:
-Physicians (MD or DO)
-Registered Nurses (RN)
-Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN)
-Physicians Assistants (PA)
-Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT-B)*
(* = Non-supervisory roles within the relief operation)
·Student nurses and allied health workers may participate in the function under strict regulations outlined in ARC 30-3042
·Education: basic command of proper grammar and attended basic Disaster Courses listed below
·Experience: None required, but confident and eager-to-learn volunteers preferred
·Other: Enthusiasm about the Southwestern Pennsylvania Chapter and the services and programs the American Red Cross provides
About The American Red Cross Greater Pennsylvania
2201 Liberty Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15222, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that...
...all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope;
...our communities are ready and prepared for disasters;
...everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products;
...all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; and
...in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
2208 Liberty AvenuePittsburgh, PA 15222
October 11, 2021
- Physician Assistant
- Disaster Response
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training