Join the Red Cross Media Relations Team
Red Cross Media Relations volunteers are part of a professional volunteer team that develops and delivers the Red Cross story behind-the-scenes, on-camera, in-person and online through media channels, websites, social media feeds and other content platforms.
- Be on call during shifts to vet and assess media inquires, share information on smaller incidents, and notify leadership of need to scale up response.
- Serve as media spokesperson for local news outlets in person, over the phone or through Skype interviews.
- Work with chapter and regional leadership to write and pitch local stories to local media.
- Showcase Red Cross services and programs through earned media outreach at events, training, interviews, etc.
- Maintain list of subject matter experts to speak with media.
- Protect the reputation of the Red Cross by identifying and assessing potential for harm to Red Cross brand, misinformation or information gaps. Work with communications management to develop a strategic approach for responding.
- Carry out the same duties from: Red Cross shelters, aid stations, warehouses, emergency operations centers, etc.
- Media relations education and/or experience
- Background in Red Cross response (training provided), branding & messaging
- Submission of a portfolio of news releases, video clips of on-camera work or equivalent work samples
About American Red Cross Central California Region
1300 W. Shaw Ave., Ste. 4B, Fresno, CA 93711, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Types of volunteer opportunities may include:
Boots on the Ground -- Your role could be to respond to home fires and other emergencies in your community, conduct in-home smoke alarm installations, or working in a wildfire shelter providing safe accommodations.
Instructor/Presenter positions to deliver education programs focused on preparedness, disasters and how to "Be Red Cross Ready" to adults and youth.
Working behind the Scenes positions include Keep the Red Cross Running -- Your role could be administrative/office support, scheduling shifts for your fellow volunteers, or logistics management to ensure disaster relief operations have the necessary supplies and equipment.
Lead the Way -- "Leadership" volunteers guide our efforts, inspire our volunteers and hold us accountable to the highest standards. Your role could be to lead a small team of fellow volunteers, act as an advisor to a Red Cross Club for youth, or support local Red Cross services by joining an advisory board or the Board of Directors.
Tell the Red Cross Story -- Communications & Outreach volunteers educate the public about Red Cross services and stories in your community. By getting our message out, you'll educate people in need about how we can help, while attracting volunteers and donors to the mission.
You can make a difference today at by becoming a volunteer at redcross.org/volunteer
230 NW 3rd AveVisalia, CA 93291
October 19, 2021
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Public Relations
- Administrative Support
- Disaster Response
- Social Media / Blogging
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Flexible. Time commitment depends on needs of the regional communications department.