1 person is interested
Hydraulic River Modeller with CGI interest - Global MapAid
1 person is interested
Global MapAid or simply "MapAid" is a social enterprise working with local people, to help them identify & map local solutions (hotspots) for their development, to help prevent disasters. The maps benefit policy makers, donors, non-government organizations and corporate social responsibility organizations, by focusing efforts where most needed. Additionally, some of our maps are designed for use by vulnerable people.
We were founded at Stanford University in 2003, and have registered in the USA and the UK with 40 unpaid volunteers across the world. Our Patron is Desmond Tutu.
An enthusiastic and responsive volunteer sought with these types of experience & skills:
- Building, reviewing and running hydraulic models and their outputs for the purposes of river flows, and flood management strategies.
- Practical experience of flood risk assessments very beneficial.
- A Degree in Hydrology/Hydrogeology
- Familiar with Python to develop bespoke utilities and QGIS plugins for model management and data manipulation, and topographical surveys (Post-processed GPS via ATV).
- Analysing data and generating reports for strategic regional river monitoring programmes.
- Experience of data processing methods by running bespoke Matlab programs as well as editing and writing programs to improve the speed and quality of our data output.
- Experience of CGI for docu-movies would be a great bonus.
- A great team work ethic to work alongside volunteers, in the CGI field would be helpful.
About Global MapAid
14 Offerton Rd, Cheshire, Hazelgrove, Cheshire SK7 4NJ, GB
We have a passion and vision to inspire and support long-term sustainable development by mapping the gaps in self-empowering opportunities for people at the ground level, so that international donors, development NGOs and government agencies can clearly see where they need to put their energies.
Since Global MapAid began in 2003, sustainable development has been the central theme of our projects; we tackle youth unemployment to irrigation and air pollution so we certainly don’t lack scope or ambition.
- The introduction of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in 2015 has provided a framework in which to organize our projects and our resources, and our volunteers work hard to create innovative solutions to a broad range of problems, with mapping at the core.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
October 8, 2021
- Environmental Science
- Mobile Programming
- Graphic Design
- Orientation or Training
- Hydrology or Hydrogeology Degree, Geo-Special Imaging, River flow modelling
- Project experience in flood risk assessment and/or river monitoring programs