Steering Committee Member - Sierra Club Ohio
Sierra Club Ohio seeks a Steering Committee Representative with a distinct focus on fundraising priorities and leadership experience. The four-year suspension process of the Sierra Club Ohio Chapter resulted in a 7 person Steering Committee dedicated to rebuilding Sierra Club Ohio. The Steering Committee seeks a 7th person for the Steering Committee with a specific focus on fundraising efforts.
Do you have skills in rebuilding and re-envisioning? Do you want to grow your experience in fundraising and support a non-profit organization? With this position, Sierra Club Ohio has more opportunities to become a successful organization. Be a part of something new, important, and vital to the environmental and social justice initiatives in the state of Ohio.
Looking forward to where we want to be, the vision of the Sierra Club Ohio Steering Committee is:
By 2025, the Ohio Chapter will be well positioned as a vibrant, dynamic, place-based hub working in solidarity and mutuality with our communities to connect people to nature, build local grassroots power and win environmental victories. The Ohio Chapter is empowered to create a welcoming and inclusive space that reflects the diversity of our communities and prioritize transformational relationships in order to be an integral and respectful partner in the movement toward equity and justice. The Ohio Chapter is sustainable, innovative and resilient, intentionally working to ensure that our communities are places in which people and the environment thrive.
To help accomplish this vision, specific responsibilities of this position include:
- With the Chapter Director, staff and volunteers, develop and implement a fundraising program, based on the annual conservation goals, other areas of focus, and records from previous years.
- Actively participate in Steering Committee, Fundraising, and Finance based meetings
- Communicate to share advice, feedback, and guidance to fellow volunteers, leaders, and staff.
- Research potential major donors, corporations, foundations, and other giving entities that may be a good fit for solicitation by Sierra Club Ohio. Add friends, colleagues, or others you think are good prospects.
- Develop and work with the fundraising committee, staff, and steering committee to prospect and solicit major and corporate donors.
- Help increase communications with supporters and current donors through email sends, events, mailings, digital content for social media, and other means.
- Plan, support, contribute and/or host in-person and virtual fundraising events, house parties, and other creative and unique donor engagement opportunities.
- Support donor mailings and appeals letters by reviewing donor lists, drafting content, and facilitating the mailing process.
- Work with staff to draft, review, and submit grant applications.
- Send personalized thank you notes, emails, and make thank you calls to major donors.
- Attend regular Sierra Club Fundraising training opportunities.
- Learn, participate, and have fun!
The Executive Board of Directors has established the following goals for the Steering Committee and other Sierra Club leaders working with members of the Ohio Chapter during its suspension:
- Rebuild Sierra Club functions in Ohio and transition to a well-functioning, effective member-elected Ohio Chapter volunteer leadership. This will include establishing new community agreements to build trust among volunteer leaders, maintaining intellectual honesty and respectful dialogue, addressing disagreements constructively, creating a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere where all leaders can thrive and new leaders feel welcomed, and establishing a governance structure that engages members and the community in work that advances Sierra Club’s mission.
- Build the skills of senior chapter leaders to manage chapter staff with the goal of developing and training a personnel committee that will manage chapter staff.
- Provide support to improve Chapter volunteer leadership and management capacity to engage in addressing potential problems before they evolve into conflicts and constructively resolve disagreements.
- Create an Ohio Chapter Strategic Plan setting forth a cohesive statewide approach to implementing Sierra Club’s mission throughout the state of Ohio.
- Build the communications with and the capacity of the Ohio groups to engage members and supporters in meaningful ways to advance Sierra Club goals.
- Build a mutually beneficial relationship with the national Sierra Club and national staff working in Ohio.
- Maintain the core functions of the Chapter: advancing Sierra Club’s mission (conservation, litigation, outings, political, equity), providing service to members, supporters and the public, building local resources, and complying with bylaws, policies and standards.
- Ensure compliance with applicable Sierra Club policies and requirements.
For additional information about this position, please review the FAQ here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/19JFwQ8hZ3vt-7Dv9UCUO5modwzOiQxrCL6h9V0NU5eI/edit)
Knowledge and skills preferred:
- Understanding of an equitable and inclusive community
- Experience or enthusiasm for fundraising
- Experience or enthusiasm for building and rebuilding an organization
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge and background with environmental and social justice issues
- Enjoy meeting new people
- Outgoing, enthusiastic and creative thinker
- Ability to build strong relationships and interact with new people, businesses, volunteers, staff, and other outside organizations
- Experience in managing people and event/project/program development
- Comfortable with digital tools
- Self-starter that works well independently and proactively as part of a team
- General nonprofit experience
- Understanding of the needs of advocacy and nonprofit organizations
- Support Sierra Club Ohio with ongoing critical work in our network of staff and volunteers
- Join a team and meet new people around the state
- Build your skills for collaboration and communication
- Raise funds to help with fighting environmental efforts
- Putting your skills to use to help advocate for Environmental and Social Justice
This position is unpaid and the time commitment is for 3 years. Anyone applying must be from Ohio. We highly encourage all interested parties with diverse backgrounds to apply! Please contact our Steering Committee Chair, Lisa Rooney ( email@example.com ), with any questions.
About Sierra Club Ohio Chapter
131 N. High Street, Suite 605, Columbus, OH 43215, US
Explore, Enjoy, and Protect the Planet
Founded by legendary conservationist John Muir in 1892, the Sierra Club is now the nation's largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization -- with more than two million members and supporters. Our successes range from protecting millions of acres of wilderness to helping pass the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and Endangered Species Act. More recently, we've made history by leading the charge to move away from the dirty fossil fuels that cause climate disruption and toward a clean energy economy.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
October 7, 2021
- Strategic Planning
- Capacity Planning
- Donor Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- People Skills
- Must be at least 18
- 5-10 hours per week