BoHo Theatre Board of Directors
About BoHo Theatre
BoHo Theatre is one of Chicago’s most imaginative storefront theatre companies, bringing bold, intimate theatrical stagings to audiences for 18 years. Our productions examine and celebrate human relationships - focusing on the Bohemian pillars of Truth, Beauty, Freedom, and Love. We nurture emerging talent both through our mainstage productions, our reading series, and through The Next Step Project, a partnership with Northwestern University’s playwriting program, where we workshop and present emerging playwrights’ work through staged readings with professional actors.
We’re at an exciting and pivotal stage in our development, continuing to produce innovative, virtual work while preparing to return to a full in-person season in 2022. We have the opportunity to build on what we have learned over the past year to strengthen Chicago’s theatre community and come back stronger and better than before.
About the Position
We are currently seeking to expand our Board of Directors to strengthen our future artistic impact and ensure we continue to grow as an innovative, imaginative theatre company. Our Board of Directors is a lively, engaged, and committed group of theatre lovers who are dedicated to supporting BoHo Theatre’s art and artists, playing a vital role in our community. All Board members will receive a complimentary subscription to BoHo’s season, as well as access to opening and closing events, talkbacks with the actors and design teams, and reserved seating. Candidates should have a passion for the mission and interest and ability to serve as an advocate and ambassador for BoHo Theatre.
We are currently seeking candidates with strong backgrounds in one or more of the following areas:
- Nonprofit Finances
- Nonprofit Board Governance
- Nonprofit Strategic Planning
Board Member Role and Responsibilities
Productions, Meetings, and Events
- Attend virtual or in-person performances and special events, bringing new audiences to the theatre.
- Commit to a three-year term.
- Attend monthly Board meetings in person, by phone, or virtually (moving to quarterly meetings in mid-2022)
- Serve on a committee and attend quarterly committee meetings.
- Support BoHo’s initiatives and help create strategic priorities in the areas of fundraising and marketing; educational outreach; diversity, equity and inclusion; and artistic and administrative integrity.
- Partner with company members on specific projects when opportunities arise.
- Help identify and cultivate prospective Board Members for BoHo Theatre.
- Provide financial oversight and accountability and approve yearly organizational budget.
- Financially support BoHo Theatre through personal donation or facilitation of donations ("give/get") for a minimum combined total of $1,000 annually.
- Leverage personal and professional networks to increase BoHo’s patrons and donors, acting as an advocate for the theatre and encouraging individuals and organizations to donate.
If interested in being considered for a Board position at BoHo Theatre, please reach out to BoHo Board President, Nancy Bullock, at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About BOHEMIAN THEATRE ENSEMBLE NFP
PO BOX 607441, CHICAGO, IL 60660, US
BoHo Theatre tells stories examining and celebrating human relationships -- focusing on the Bohemian pillars of Truth, Beauty, Freedom, and Love -- using bold, intimate theatrical stagings. Our vision is to create a shared community of artists and patrons in which all members are moved through art to make thoughtful, well-examined, caring relationships the highest priority in their lives.
BoHo’s values are defined by the following guiding Principals:
- The incorporation of the arts as a whole, including dance, music, visual art, graphic design, and other artistic disciplines.
- An artistic emphasis on the importance of relationships.
- Securing, maintaining, and nurturing the artist’s process.
- An artistic focus on introspection.
- Storytelling through innovation.
- An artistic and organizational commitment to transparency.
BoHo is committed to fostering and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our company, board of directors, actors, technical staff, and musicians are the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of their individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent is vital not only to our familial culture but to the excellent work we achieve in theatre.
BoHo Theatre CompanyChicago, IL 60660
October 7, 2021
- Theater Arts
- Strategic Planning
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- The time commitment includes monthly meetings and attendance at performances.