2 people are interested
Volunteer Elementary English Language Arts (Literacy, Reading) Instructor
2 people are interested
CIANA is looking for a remote volunteer Elementary Reading instructor. Our classes will have approximately 5-10 students in Grade 1-5. You must be comfortable managing a diverse group of students and facilitating fun and interactive activities. This position is ideal for aspiring teachers, or those already in the process of taking courses in Elementary education and need to complete fieldwork or volunteer hours for their courses. The curriculum and activities will be provided and 4-6 hours of training is required for this position.
There are two positions available:
Ready Readers (Grades 1-3)
For this remote position, instructors will execute teacher led lessons to a small group of 1st to 3rd graders. Instructors should be able to read with energy and inflection and be comfortable asking youngsters questions about the text, introduce new vocabulary, and be able to execute related extension activities.
Rising Readers (Grades 4-5)
For this remote position, instructors will be required to teach students a reading strategy of the day and then allow the students to break off into small groups according to their reading level and assigned book. The instructor will supervise student led literature circles, as the students read a set number of pages using the reading strategy of the day
Schedule will be from 3:00 - 5:00pm (1 hour long session)
- Instruct an open class
- Write and deliver English lessons that incorporate reading, writing, speaking, and listening components based on a curriculum
- Facilitate lessons on life skills and practical English in a fun and accessible way
- Collaborate with other ESL teachers on lesson development and execution
- Assist in tracking student needs and progress
- Must have access to reliable internet and a WiFi or data enable device
- Charismatic, dynamic, and interactive instruction methods
- Motivated to help students achieve their goals
- Competent in and respectful of cultural differences
- Passionate about advancing immigrant rights
- Possesses a TEFL certificate (or similar) and/or is currently in a program to obtain certification is a plus! Retired teachers are encouraged to apply.
- Fluency in another language; especially Arabic, Bengali, or Spanish, is a plus!
About Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans, CIANA
31-09 Newtown Avenue, Suite 411, Astoria, NY 11102, US
To provide special transitional services which will lead to the successful integration of newcomers into American society while continuing to maintain pride in their own cultural heritage .
Immigrants and refugees will be provided with the tools to emerge from poverty, isolation, and linguistic barriers to become full, productive American citizens. Our services promote family well-being and stability, provide counseling and support services, and expose newcomers to the social, economic and educational opportunities available to them. Professional social services will include ESOL and civics classes, citizenship preparation, adult literacy, child welfare and youth services, legal and immigration assistance, financial literacy, micro credit and finance, employment assistance, and information and referral services. Newcomers will gain a deeper understanding of western culture and how to incorporate its positive qualities into their lives without fear of losing their culture and identity; it will help them shape an identity that encompasses the best of both worlds and prevents their isolation and marginalization.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
October 6, 2021
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
- Reading / Writing
- Time Commitment Fall session: October - December 23, 2021