1 person is interested
Director of Operations
1 person is interested
Volunteer Position: Director of Operations
Time Commitment: 8 hours per week for one year
Clear Blue Sea is a nonprofit dedicated to cleansing the oceans of plastic pollution. Our innovation is FRED - the Floating Robot for Eliminating Debris. Clear Blue Sea currently has 4 FRED prototypes which were completed with volunteer and intern teams and are being tested for operations in San Diego. The prototypes are stored and worked on in our Warehouse near Miramar Blvd, and tested and operated in local San DIego waters. We are looking for a Director of Operations to manage the warehouse, coordinate FRED logistics, and oversee safety of operations to clean up marine debris in the San Diego area.
The Director of Operations maintains an organizational system (such as 5S) to keep the warehouse workspace organized for efficiency and effectiveness. A key part of this role is also coordinating logistics for FRED transportation to/from testing or educational displays. You will ensure all safety/operational checklists and procedures are completed prior to transport and testing.
You will work with the Director of Engineering to ensure we have a complete and accurate documented baseline for FRED design, development, testing, operations, maintenance, and retirement.
You report weekly to the Clear Blue Sea Leadership Council, chaired by the Executive Director, and coordinate with fellow Directors to ensure we have a collaborative and productive work environment.
This position is based out of our Clear Blue Sea warehouse (near Miramar Blvd in an industrial park) but can also involve remote work as appropriate. The director will oversee and assist our volunteers in their engineering work. We practice COVID-19 safety procedures and limit the number of volunteers and interns in the warehouse.
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Very organized, responsible, and responsive
- Experience as a project manager or in technical operations is a plus
- Experience with trailers or marine operations/marine vehicles is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Active listening for team collaboration, problem-solving, and designing of creative solutions
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop and sustain an organizational system/culture for the warehouse
- Manage CBSea physical and digital assets (FRED prototypes, equipment/tools, materials, engineering drawings, procedures, etc.)
- Coordinate logistics for FRED demos, FRED educational displays, etc.
- Validate completion of safety checklists prior to FRED transport
- Help oversee FRED testing jointly with FRED Engineering directors
- Help maintain FRED engineering documentation jointly with FRED Engineering directors
To apply complete our volunteer application (https://forms.gle/e9LyGnW1SUvdTZHd9) . Contact email@example.com with any questions.
About CLEAR BLUE SEA
7939 Silverton Ave, SAN DIEGO, CA 92122, US
Clear Blue Sea's mission is to cleanse the oceans of floating plastic pollution by operating fleets of unmanned marine robots powered by renewable energy.
CLEAR BLUE SEA is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in San Diego, CA with a mission to cleanse the oceans of plastic pollution. Clear Blue Sea’s innovative marine debris removal system is an unmanned, solar-powered Floating Robot for Eliminating Debris (FRED). Three small-scale FRED prototypes have been built and tested in Mission Bay and several new FRED projects are currently in work, including a FRED Do-it-Yourself (FREDDY) Instructional Package and the design of a 50-foot FRED to be implemented in Hawaii as a pilot. Our FRED projects have involved over 200 student interns as we are dedicated to training and mentoring younger generations in methods and innovations needed to increase awareness of ocean plastics and solutions for ocean cleanup and conservancy.
7939 Silverton Avenue, Unit 807San Diego, CA 92126
October 4, 2021
- Office Management
- Mechanical Engineering
- Program Management
- 8 hours/week for 1 year