Become The Safe Sisters Circle's Board Member!
The Board of Directors will work to support and advance the efforts of The
Safe Sisters Circle by providing good governance, strategic guidance, and general support. Staff of
the organization, led by the Executive Director, will be responsible and will carry out the daily
operations and work of the organization. However, the Board will work in partnership with the
Executive Director ensure the appropriate role for the Board, since this partnership is crucial to the
organization’s success. Some of the responsibilities of a Board member include:
Governance and Oversight:
* Reviewing and being prepared to discuss the organization’s financial statements on a
* Serving as a partner to the Executive Director to ensure good governance of the
* Supporting the annual review of the Executive Director and their performance
* Fulfilling any personal board commitments, including committee service
* Approving and reviewing the annual budget of the organization, as well as fulfilling other
legal and fiscal responsibilities
* Monitoring the impact of the organization’s work and ensuring activities are in line with,
and fulfilling the mission and vision of the organization
* Maintaining the health of the board by supporting the recruitment of new board members
and holding current members accountable for their service responsibilities
* Supporting a culture and climate on the board that is reflective of the organization’s values
* Represent the organization responsibly at any events being attended on the organization’s
* Understand the work, mission, and vision of the organization well enough to be able to
discuss with others on the organization’s behalf
* Attend organizational events when requested
* Consider inviting people from your network to get involved or learn more about the
* As agreed upon, each Board member will make a personally meaningful gift. This means
that your support of this organization should be one of your three largest philanthropic gifts
of the year.
* In addition to the personal give, Board members commit to actively telling others of the
work of this organization and tapping into personal networks and organizations contacts on
behalf of the organization
* Fulfill stewardship requests as able, including writing thank you letters, making calls to
current donors, and other related stewardship activities
Meeting Attendance and Participation:
* The Safe Sisters Circle has four meetings each year. It is expected that all Board members
will not miss more than 1 meeting each year. If this is an issue, the Board member will reach
out to the Board Chair to discuss.
* Board members serve a 2 year term, and will be fully engaged throughout. At the end of the
term, the Board member may decide to renew for another term, as long as it is within the
organization’s approved policies on Board participation.
* Meetings will be held (In-Person or Virtually) on a Quarterly basis. All board members will
read pre-meeting materials ahead of time to allow for full engagement at the meeting.
Board of Directors for The Safe Sisters Circle do not receive any compensation for their support or
time, except in cases of reimbursement for organization-related expenses.
Board members have significant responsibilities within this organization, and therefore the
organization has a defined recruitment and selection process. Successful candidates for the Board
of Directors will be qualified for the role, and passionate about the work of the organization. The
best indicator of a successful candidate is having a true and authentic interest in the mission of the
Successful candidates will leverage their professional and personal experience to provide good
governance for the organization. Their experience and interest in the organization will ensure good
stewardship of the organization. Ideal candidates for the Board of Directors will have some, if not
all, of these qualifications:
* Relevant professional experience that prepares them for general board service and to offer
specific skills and experience that could be helpful to the organization
* A demonstrated commitment to the work of the organization, and/or the ability to explain
their interest in the work
* An interest in working as part of team, building a strong and productive culture on the
board to further the work of the organization
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About SAFE SISTERS CIRCLE
PO BOX 15126, WASHINGTON, DC 20003, US
The Safe Sisters Circle is a women of color founded and operated organization that provides culturally specific, trauma informed, and holistic services to young Black women and girl survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual abuse in Washington, DC's Ward 7 and 8.
Right now our main projects are our East of the River Women's Legal Services Project and Keep Black Girls Safe DC (legal project) providing survivors with representation in Civil Protection Order hearings and family law cases. The Safe Sisters Circle will provide these legal services while addressing the various barriers our clients face as a result of their past trauma as well as our clients’ disadvantages based on their cultural, ethnic, social, and/or sexual identities.
1231 Good Hope Road SoutheastWashington, DC 20020
October 1, 2021
- Human Resources Strategy
- Human Resources Legal Compliance
- Professional Development
- Orientation or Training
- 3-5 hours/mos
- Also looking for fundraising and development experience Past Board Membership experience desired.