6 people are interested
Food Rescue Driver
ORGANIZATION: The Open Door
Please visit the new page to apply.
6 people are interested
Did you know The Open Door saves over 25,000 lbs of food from the landfill each week?!
Food Rescue Drivers play a crucial role in providing healthy, fresh food to our clients by picking up donated food at local grocery stores. The food donated is no longer able to be sold at the grocery store for various reasons, but is still safe to consume. This role saves thousands of pounds of food from being in a landfill each day!
Food Rescue Drivers are responsible for picking up donations from our retail grocery store partners and bringing them back to the Open Door. This role requires heavy lifting. Volunteers should be able to lift 40+lbs.
Primary Duties and Essential Responsibilities
* Using The Open Door van to pick up food donations at local grocery stores. A large vehicle is able to pick up for select routes.
* Bring food donations to The Open Door (3000 Ames Crossing Rd)
* Unload and weigh food from delivery
* Provide excellent customer service
Skills and Qualifications
* Must be 18+ years of age.
* Ability to lift 40+ pounds.
* Background Check Required
* Strong desire to eradicate hunger in Dakota County
* Closed-toed shoes required
* Valid Minnesota driver’s license.
Training and Support
Food Rescue Drivers will be properly trained prior to their first route. Detailed Food Rescue procedures and a walk through video of the grocery store will be sent prior to the first shift. Volunteers will be paired with an experienced volunteer.
Commitment (time, duration and location)
Retail Rescue Drivers are located at the Open Door, 3000 Ames Crossing Road. Monday through Friday shifts available, anytime between 7am and 9:30am. There is no requirement of volunteer shifts each month.
Benefits to the Volunteer:
* Help your neighbors
* Help in the fight to end hunger in Dakota County
* Help the environment by keeping food out of landfills
About The Open Door
3000 Ames Crossing Rd, Suite #100, EAGAN, MN 55121, US
A fresh approach to ending local hunger through access to healthy food.
The Open Door is a hunger relief organization dedicated to ending local hunger through access to healthy food. Through its collective programs, The Open Door serves more than 15,000 Dakota County residents each month, and distributes nearly 2 million pounds of food annually, 70% of which is fresh and/or perishable. Clients are able to access healthy food choices through a fixed-site food pantry in Eagan, multiple Mobile Pantry sites, the Mobile Lunch Box, and the Garden To Table program.
Multiple locations Saint Paul, MN 55121
September 27, 2023
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Each shift is 1.5-2.5 hours long.
- Must be able to lift 40+lbs and have a valid driver's license.