1 person is interested
Pashto, Dari, or Farsi speaking volunteers needed!
1 person is interested
We need Pashto, Dari, and Farsi speaking volunteers to help us with a number of tasks:
- Document translation and interpretation
- Mentoring newly arrived families
- Transportation - Airport pickups, driving to appointments, delivering donations
Some opportunities, such as document translation or phone interpretation can be done remotely!
About Ethiopian Community Development Council
8121 Georgia Avenue, Suite 800, Silver Spring, MD 20910, US
ECDC's mission is to resettle refugees, promote cultural, educational, and socioeconomic development in the refugee and immigrant community in the United States, and conduct humanitarian and development programs in the Horn of Africa. To pursue this mission, ECDC: provides programs and services that assist newcomers to the country become productive members of their new American communities fosters greater understanding among newcomers and the wider community conducts outreach and education activities to increase public awareness about refugee and immigrant issues promotes African community-based organizations increase their capacity to serve their local communities promotes civic participation by newcomers in the decision-making process at the local, state, and national levels provides cross-cultural training to service providers' on the diverse cultural backgrounds of the clients they work with assists in educational development and cultural preservation projects in Ethiopia
ECDC is non-profit organization that works toward the resettlement of refugees within the United States. We conduct case work, as well as educational and social outreach programs for newly arrived refugee families. These programs are aimed to help the families recover from past traumatic experiences, get adjusted to American life, and become economically self-sufficient contributing members of their new communities. The refugees we work with refugees come from all across the globe.
Some of the services that we provide refugee families include:
- Housing and rent for 3 months (families will hopefully be self-sufficient by this time)
- Basic home furnishings
- Enrollment in ESL classes
- Setting up medical and social security appointments
- School enrollment for the children
- Helping refugee families connect with their new communities on a social and logistical level
901 South Highland StreetArlington, VA 22204
October 1, 2021
- Cross-cultural Communication
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Whatever you can offer. Weekday availability is highly desired.