Social Media and Internship Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA at TRIO
APPLY BEFORE OCTOBER 12th TO GET FIRST PRIORITY! SEND YOUR RESUME TO SERVE@OREGONCAMPUSCOMPACT.ORG.
Host Site Name : Oregon TRIO Association (OTA)
Department : Development & Communications
Location : 1651 Lexington Ave., Astoria, OR 97103
Position Title : Social Media & Internship Coordinator
Work Location : Virtual
Summary of Position and Project Goal :
As a VISTA, you will help provide opportunities for low-income and first-generation students across Oregon and remove barriers that prevent them from improving their lives through education. TRIO programs believe in providing resources for marginalized people who have historically been unable to pursue access to post-secondary education. The primary functions of this position include 1. supporting and developing a communications strategy for the organization through social media outlets. 2. Developing community and corporate partnerships to increase access to resources for our TRIO students throughout the state. 3. Support the organization in planning student events, and attend events to record and document our efforts to support students. 4. Coordinate a state-wide initiative to create paid internship opportunities for TRIO students. As a VISTA, you will serve our communities through indirect service. The programs and processes you develop will directly impact our communities and build our capacity to impact the lives of TRIO students.
Applicants should have a four-year degree in any discipline with significant emphasis on business or communications, OR four years of relevant work experience or a combination thereof. The ideal applicant works well with diverse, multilingual communities, is detail-oriented, and has a strong understanding of systemic oppression and social justice issues. In addition, the applicant should have experience with fundraising, communications, and development work.
Essential Responsibilities/Activities :
- Assist with communications tasks (designing newsletters, social media assets, communications strategy, marketing, etc.)
- Create and lead internal documentation efforts of Oregon TRIO programs (photos, video, etc.)
- Assist with community partnerships to promote TRIO programs throughout the state and region.
- Assist with corporate partnerships to develop a state-wide internship program to create job opportunities for TRIO students.
- Assist in the support/creation of a state-wide internship program.
- Assist with any state-wide student events seeking to provide opportunities for TRIO students.
Marginal Responsibilities :
- Attend organizational committee meetings when topics pertain to essential responsibilities.
- Donor support/communications
- Assist with grant writing
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Responsibilities :
- Attend all Campus Compact of Oregon AmeriCorps VISTA required trainings and events
- Complete and submit all Campus Compact of Oregon AmeriCorps VISTA required progress reports, timesheets, and other paperwork
Required Qualifications :
- 18 years and older
- Must have at least an Associates Degree or equivalent credits
- Demonstrate a commitment to or willingness to explore issues of racial justice and equity
- A U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident, or DACA recipient
- Able to serve full-time for 1 full calendar year
- Ability to pass a criminal history background check
Site-Specific Requirements ::
- Must be capable of serving remotely
- Must have reliable access to the internet
- Must be able to serve 8 hours a day on a computer
Preferred Qualifications :
- Event coordination experience
- Proficient in Google Docs
- Experience documenting through photo and video
- Experience in designing assets using Canva, Photoshop, or other design software
- Be representative of the populations of students we work with (low-income and first-generation college student)
- Experience in independent, project based work
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits :
- A living allowance of $16,617 (for VISTAs serving in Clackamas, Columbia, Multnomah, Washington, and Yamhill counties)
- A living allowance of $13,362 (for VISTAs serving in any other county of Oregon)
- An education award of $6,195 or cash stipend of $1,500 upon successful completion of service
- Relocation allowance of $550 and mileage-based reimbursement if moving more than 50 miles to serve
- Health benefits
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual payment on qualified student loans
- Child care (if eligible)
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Access to an extensive network of AmeriCorps Alums
- Federal jobs non-competitive eligibility for one year after service
Site-Specific Benefits :
- Access to a laptop (Vista can help select based on needs) for the term
- Access to the Adobe Creative Cloud and Adobe training modules
- OTA agree to pay the test fee for up to three (3) Adobe professional certifications
- Home internet stipend (OTA agrees to cover up to $70 per month)
- Paid attendance and travel to state and national TRIO conferences (OTA & COE)
- Home office supplies provided as needed
About Campus Compact of Oregon
620 SW 5th Ave. Suite 910, Portland, OR 97204, US
OUR MISSION Campus Compact of Oregon convenes and supports the work of educational institutions individually and collectively to improve their practice around institutional equity, collaborative learning, and community engagement to respond effectively to a racially diverse and changing Oregon. OUR EQUITY STATEMENT As a racial justice and educational equity organization, we owe it to ourselves, our partners, and the communities that we collaborate with to strive for the utmost integrity. With this, we seek to dismantle harmful systems that perpetuate hate, xenophobia, and ignorance while working to center those most impacted by institutional, systemic, and interpersonal oppression: Black Indigenous & People of Color, LGBTQAI2++ people, immigrants and refugees, low-income people, and people with disabilities.
Campus Compact of Oregon is the only statewide organization working with private, public, four-year, and two-year institutions of higher education, and the only regional or state Compact welcoming K12 schools and education nonprofits as members. We embrace our unique position to strengthen educational equity in Oregon through a focus on racial justice, community engaged learning, and college and K12 partnership. Take a look at how we do this through our programs.
Campus Compact of Oregon currently operates four AmeriCorps programs: an AmeriCorps VISTA program, Summer VISTA, and two state/national projects Connect2Complete and College Access Corps. All Campus Compact of Oregon programs are committed to promoting racial equity and social justice, and eliminating inequities that exist in Oregon in postsecondary access and success for students of color and first generation students. National service members are placed at colleges, universities, K12 schools, or education nonprofits and work with a supervisor at this host site. Each of our programs achieve this mission in a slightly different way.
1651 Lexington AvenueAstoria, OR 97103
September 29, 2021
- Strategic Planning
- Capacity Planning
- Adult Education
- Community Outreach
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- AmeriCorps VISTA is a 1 year, full time commitment. Full Time is dependent on the site, it's flexible. Candidates can go to school outside of service and go to school outside of service.
- Required Qualifications: 18 years and older Must have at least an Associates Degree or equivalent credits Demonstrate a commitment to or willingness to explore issues of racial justice and equity A U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanen