Social Enterprise Volunteer
Job Title: MAKE Projects Social Enterprise Volunteer
Up to 30 hours a month
Minimum 3-month commitment
MAKE Projects is a non-profit social enterprise organization that provides paid work experience and job readiness training to low-income refugee and immigrant women and youth. We are fiscally-sponsored by Mission Edge. Learn more about our mission, program and services at www.sdmake.org
The MAKE Social Impact team works with our adult and youth job trainees on Job Readiness Training (JRT) and securing employment when they graduate the program. They also work with the San Diego community to outreach and recruit Job Trainees, as well as establish relationships with potential employers. The Social Enterprise Volunteer supports MAKE Projects job training programming and helps us ensure the best experience for our Job Trainees, provide the best customer service for our customers, and strengthen both our social impact and business revenues.
* Train, coach, and mentor Job Trainees at Saturday Café, Farm Experiences, Global To Go Retail Booth, and Private Events
* Train, coach, and mentor Job Trainees on Job Readiness Modules, including but not limited to mock interviews, resume building, and job searching
* Community outreach and Job Trainee recruitment
* Develop partnerships with employers, community organizations, and local businesses to strengthen our employment pipelines, training modules, and customer experience
* Assist in onboarding and enrollment for new job trainees
* Data input and casefile monitoring
* Must be 18 years and over
* Must have experience working in and/or with low-income communities
* Must love working, teaching, mentoring others - patience is a must!
* Must be organized, digitally-savvy and responsible with time, responsibilities
* Must have strong verbal, written, and professional communication skills
* On-site projects at MAKE Projects in North Park (3745 30th Street)
* Some remote responsibilities
About MAKE Projects
3745 30th Street, San Diego, CA 92104, US
Our mission is to create an inclusive San Diego by preparing refugees and immigrants to achieve their dreams.
MAKE Projects was born from the need to help lower-literacy refugee women gain English and job skills in an effective way and timely manner. While refugees who resettle to the U.S. come with a wide range of educational and professional backgrounds (such as those with a Ph.D. like Albert Einstein), there are some refugees - particularly women from more agrarian backgrounds - who were never given access to attend school or continue beyond primary grades. We prepare over 70 refugees and immigrants per year for successful jobs throughout San Diego County. Our dynamic, hands-on learning platform is an engaging way for English learners and youth to gain real-world work experience and confidence with American work culture.
Our vision at MAKE Projects is to see San Diegans cross social, racial, economic and geographic lines as we gather over a common love of food, flavors and culture. We believe in the power of food to bring diverse populations together, to unite a community and educate each other about our history and differences, as well as our commonalities.
3745 30th StreetSan Diego, CA 92104
September 27, 2021
- Professional Development
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Up to 30 hours a month