Make a direct impact on seniors in need as an Order Ahead Distribution Volunteer!
Second Harvest Heartland is committed to delivering a premiere volunteer and client experience, and we need your help! Volunteers in this position will help distribute packed food boxes for our hungry neighbors while providing high quality customer service and attention to detail to carry out the mission of Second Harvest Heartland.
As a Distribution Volunteer, you would assist the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) team primarily by working with CSFP program participants/clients and assisting in direct distribution and program operation necessary for the timely and accurate implementation of the CSFP client choice programming pilot, Order Ahead, at our Brooklyn Park location. In the Order Ahead pilot program, participants pre-select the items packed in their boxes and volunteers fill and distribute the orders to client during their pick-up appointments.Through CSFP, Second Harvest Heartland provides a box of nutritious food each month to low-income seniors 60 years and over through the Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors (NAPS).
We are looking for volunteers to commit to one shift a week for 6 months. Available volunteer shifts are Tuesday 9:00-11:30AM and 1:00-3:30PM, Wednesday 9:00-11:30AM and 1:00-3:30PM
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greet and welcome clients and other volunteers on-site
- Update our client database and track client pick-up schedules
- Help with other duties as needed, including sorting, bagging, distributing extra food items to clients, or occasional light clerical or janitorial tasks
- Load prepared boxes of 30-35 pounds into client’s vehicles during their pick-up appointment
- Provide a meaningful and productive experience for clients by being available for questions, providing direction, and building rapport with clients and other volunteers
- Adhere to food safety and safety guidelines
- Comfortable using a computer-based client software and food ordering website
- Ability to stand and walk around for extended period, 2-3 hours
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds consistently and frequently bend and twist
- Ability to work in warehouse conditions and in indoor/outdoor environments
- Ability to adjust to changing conditions, multi-task and prioritize tasks appropriately with a strong attention to detail due to nature of pilot programing and think on your feet
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality, punctuality, accountability and patience under stress
- Ability to provide timely feedback on pilot program experience to enhance the program to benefit volunteers and clients
- Understand safety policies and actively promote safe practices in all program activities
- Enjoy working with people and a willingness to interact patiently and with empathy with participants from diverse economic, social, and ethnic backgrounds and uphold a non-judgmental, positive regard. Volunteer will be communicating with and assisting seniors from many different cultures and ethnicities.
- Ability to meet SHH’s guidelines for background check: Volunteers in this position work closely with vulnerable populations and are exposed to sensitive client information. SHH will be conducting criminal background checks for all volunteers in this position. SHH reserves the right to decline working with a volunteer, or dismiss a current volunteer, based on the results of the background check.
TIME REQUIREMENTS AND SCHEDULE:
TOTAL TIME REQUIRMENT: Minimum 6-month commitment
START DATE: On or after October 11th, 2021
SHIFT OPTIONS:Tuesday or Thursday: 2-3 hour shifts for box distribution (9:00-11:30AM and 1:00-3:30PM)
WORK SITE: Second Harvest Heartland, 7101 Winnetka Ave. N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
To apply: Visit the opportunity on our portal, www.volunteer.2harvest.org and click on Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities to see all available roles. If the opportunity sounds like a good fit for you, click on "Respond" to express your interest and complete the initial steps in the process. After responding, you’ll get an email confirming your interest and a link to our application.
Questions? Reach out to Beth Ashton, email@example.com.
09:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Tuesday and Thursdays
01:00 PM to 03:30 PM
Tuesdays and Thursdays
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Second Harvest Heartland
7101 Winnetka Ave No., Brooklyn Park, MN 55428, US
The mission of Second Harvest Heartland is to end hunger through community partnerships. At Second Harvest Heartland, our volunteer partners do more than enrich our work, they ground us to our mission of ending hunger together. We integrate volunteers into all aspects of creating and delivering solutions that will free our neighbors of hunger.
More than a food bank, Second Harvest Heartland is a leading partner in the policies and programs that work to end hunger, like SNAP, school meals and senior nutrition programs, and we’re an innovator in the areas where food can be the solution, like FOODRx and Minnesota Central Kitchen.
Second Harvest Heartland is a member of Feeding America, a national network of more than 200 food banks serving every state in the United States. Membership means access to millions of pounds of surplus food and grocery donations from manufacturers and producers throughout the country.
Working with our network of partners, volunteers and donors as well as people like you, our 90,000+ square feet of dry, refrigerator and freezer space is constantly accepting and distributing donations. Our fleet of trucks travels nearly half a million miles a year, picking up food donations and delivering them to local food shelves, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, senior community centers and children's after school programs. Each year we distributed more than 100 million meals to our partners in hunger-relief. Learn more at 2harvest.org.
Click here to visit our volunteer portal and view all available opportunities.
7101 Winnetka Ave. No.Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
September 27, 2021
- Elder care
- Customer Service
- Data Entry
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- People Skills
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- We are looking for volunteers to commit to one shift a week for 6 months. Available volunteer shifts are Tuesday 9:00-11:30AM and 1:00-3:30PM, Wednesday 9:00-11:30AM and 1:00-3:30PM
- This is a great opportunity to help us serve seniors in need and kick off a new program!