Take the lead as an Order Ahead Lead Volunteer for our new pilot program!
Second Harvest Heartland is committed to delivering a premiere volunteer and client experience, and we need your help! Volunteers in this leadership position will help move product and support other volunteers to pack food for our hungry neighbors.
As a Lead Volunteer, you would assist the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) team primarily in leading volunteers by packing items clients request into food boxes through a pilot program called Order Ahead. Through CSFP, Second Harvest Heartland provides a box of nutritious food each month to low-income seniors 60 years and over through the Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors (NAPS). In the Order Ahead Pilot Program, participants pre-select the items packed in their boxes and volunteers fill and distribute the orders to client during their pick-up appointments. This is a great role for someone seeking a very physical, hands-on volunteer role that allows them to connect with others!
We are looking for volunteers to commit to one shift a week for 6 months. Available volunteer shifts are Monday 8:30-11:30AM and 1:30-3:30PM, Wednesday 8:30-11:30AM and 1:30-3:30PM.
- Greet and welcome volunteers on-site and provide brief instructions of daily volunteer tasks
- Assist with physical set-up and cleanup of workspace (set up product, move pallets, clean up, etc.) during box packing shifts
- Fill client orders and track daily packing progress for client-choice CSFP boxes
- Provide a meaningful and productive experience for volunteers by being available for questions, providing direction, and building rapport with volunteers
- Adhere to food safety and safety guidelines
- Assist in loading client’s food boxes to cars during their pick-up appointment, as needed
- Ability to stand and walk around for extended period, 2-3 hours
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds consistently and frequently bend and twist
- Ability to work in warehouse conditions
- Ability to adjust to changing conditions, multi-task and prioritize tasks appropriately with a strong attention to detail due to nature of pilot programing and think on your feet
- Ability to provide timely feedback on pilot program experience to enhance the program to benefit volunteers and clients
- Comfortable using a manual pallet jack to move pallets (SHH will provide training)
- Understand safety policies and actively promote safe practices in all program activities
- Ability to meet SHH’s guidelines for background check: Volunteers in this position work closely with vulnerable populations and are exposed to sensitive client information. SHH will be conducting criminal background checks for all volunteers in this position. SHH reserves the right to decline working with a volunteer, or dismiss a current volunteer, based on the results of the background check.
TIME REQUIREMENTS AND SCHEDULE:
TOTAL TIME REQUIRMENT: Minimum 6-month commitment
START DATE: On or after October 4th, 2021
SHIFT OPTIONS: Mondays or Wednesdays: 2-3 hour shifts for set-up and box packing (8:30-11:30AM and 1:30-3:30PM)
WORK SITE: Second Harvest Heartland, 7101 Winnetka Ave. N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
To apply: Visit the opportunity on our portal, www.volunteer.2harvest.org and click on Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities to see all available roles. If the opportunity sounds like a good fit for you, click on "Respond" to express your interest and complete the initial steps in the process. After responding, you’ll get an email confirming your interest and a link to our application.
Questions? Reach out to Beth Ashton, email@example.com.
08:30 AM to 11:30 AM
Mondays and Wednesdays
01:30 PM to 01:30 PM
Mondays and Wednesdays
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Second Harvest Heartland
7101 Winnetka Ave No., Brooklyn Park, MN 55428, US
The mission of Second Harvest Heartland is to end hunger through community partnerships. At Second Harvest Heartland, our volunteer partners do more than enrich our work, they ground us to our mission of ending hunger together. We integrate volunteers into all aspects of creating and delivering solutions that will free our neighbors of hunger.
More than a food bank, Second Harvest Heartland is a leading partner in the policies and programs that work to end hunger, like SNAP, school meals and senior nutrition programs, and we’re an innovator in the areas where food can be the solution, like FOODRx and Minnesota Central Kitchen.
Second Harvest Heartland is a member of Feeding America, a national network of more than 200 food banks serving every state in the United States. Membership means access to millions of pounds of surplus food and grocery donations from manufacturers and producers throughout the country.
Working with our network of partners, volunteers and donors as well as people like you, our 90,000+ square feet of dry, refrigerator and freezer space is constantly accepting and distributing donations. Our fleet of trucks travels nearly half a million miles a year, picking up food donations and delivering them to local food shelves, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, senior community centers and children's after school programs. Each year we distributed more than 100 million meals to our partners in hunger-relief. Learn more at 2harvest.org.
Click here to visit our volunteer portal and view all available opportunities.
7101 Winnetka Ave NBrooklyn Park, MN 55428
September 27, 2021
- Customer Service
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- We are looking for volunteers to commit to one shift a week for 6 months. Available volunteer shifts are Monday 8:30-11:30AM and 1:30-3:30PM, Wednesday 8:30-11:30AM and 1:30-3:30PM.
- This is a great role for someone seeking a very physical, hands-on volunteer role that allows them to connect with others!