Field Trips: Assistant Educators
Description: Educator assistants support our Nutrition and Garden Science educators with lesson set up and delivery, student engagement, classroom management, and clean up. Duties are performed in a fast-paced outdoor or kitchen setting and require additional training. Volunteers will receive training and orientation before the first volunteer visit.
Requirements: Volunteers must have availability between 8 am - 2:30 pm Monday - Wednesday and be able to commit to at least the entire duration of one field trip (2.5 - 3 hrs). Additionally, volunteers must have strong communication skills, experience working with children, and be able to maintain a good attitude in a fast-paced learning environment. Bilingual, English-Spanish is a plus.
- 10:00 AM to 02:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Olivewood Gardens and Learning Center
2525 N Ave, National City, CA 91950, US
Our Mission: Inspire youth and adults to be healthy and active citizens through organic gardening, environmental stewardship, and nutrition education. Our Vision: A community free of diet-related health conditions and a thriving environment. Olivewood’s purpose is to build healthy families and a healthy environment. We work with children, families and adults through hands-on classes in the garden and the kitchen.
Olivewood Gardens and Learning Center’s historic 6.85-acre property in National City, California serves as an interactive, indoor-outdoor classroom for children and adults from around San Diego County.
We are fortunate to be supported by a team of passionate and hard-working volunteers. Volunteers are not only integral to the success of our program, but they also help demonstrate to students the caring and commitment of their larger community. We are seeking individuals who are passionate about environmental and nutrition education; fresh, local food; working with children; community engagement; and hands-on gardening and cooking. Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus. We offer non-paid Internships but school credit available.
- Fill out a volunteer application (The Volunteer Coordinator will contact you after your application submission
- Complete a volunteer waiver
- Schedule a volunteer orientation
- Training will be provided and required for some of the volunteer roles previous to your first volunteer visit.
Open Volunteer Positions:
- Garden Volunteer
- Office Volunteer
- Volunteer Garden Science Assistant
- Volunteer Nutrition Assistant
- Special events-Weekend volunteer
- Internship (college students and recent college graduates)
- Visit our website for full internship descriptions
2525 N AvenueNational City, CA 91950
September 27, 2021
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteer basis- Once a week for three months, permanent volunteers are welcome! This can be a great fit if you are looking for an internship opp.