4 people are interested
4 people are interested
The San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory is a nonprofit dedicated to the conservation of birds and their habitats through research and education. SFBBO is looking for volunteer mechanics or vehicle enthusiasts to help with car, truck, inflatable boat, and boat trailer maintenance in the South San Francisco Bay Area.
SFBBO monitors bird populations and conducts habitat restoration to improve habitats in south SF Bay for birds and people. Our work relies heavily on a fleet of five vehicles (cars and trucks) that staff use for off-road fieldwork. We also operate a small inflatable zodiac with an outboard engine and a boat trailer for surveys in south bay sloughs. We are seeking a volunteer with knowledge of vehicle maintenance, either professionally or through a general interest.
Volunteers do not need to be expert mechanics, but should have a passion for cars and be interested in contributing to a conservation non-profit organization.
The volunteer’s responsibility will be to ensure that the SFBBO fleet is always in good and serviceable condition by performing the following duties in a timely manner:
- Tracking vehicle maintenance (e.g., oil changes, tire changes, services) using Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
- Performing routine maintenance to the ability of the volunteer, or coordinating professional servicing of vehicles when needed in a timely manner (e.g., oil changes, replacing lights, routine servicing)
- Assisting SFBBO in assessing the acquisition of new vehicles
- Advising SFBBO staff when they encounter vehicle difficulty
- Checking boat trailer indicator lights and wiring and performing repairs when needed
- Annual servicing of johnson outboard motor for inflatable zodiac
When vehicle maintenance requires purchasing of parts or that the volunteer seeks professional services, the expenses will be covered by SFBBO.
About San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory
524 Valley Way, Milpitas, CA 95035, US
The San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory is a nonprofit science organization dedicated to the conservation of birds and their habitats through science and outreach, and to contributing to informed resource management decisions in the Bay Area.
The Bird Observatory was founded in 1981 by a group of enthusiastic biology students from San Jose State University. We study waterbirds and landbirds of the Bay Area, and also provide bird walks and other interpretive activities for the public. We currently have 6 staff and about 900 members. Our biologists work with nearly 100 volunteers in our fieldwork.
524 Valley WayMilpitasMilpitas, CA 95035
September 26, 2021
- Auto Mechanics / Repair
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 hours per month
- Clean driving record