1 person is interested
Fall 2021 - Family Activities Ambassador Internship
1 person is interested
This position is for Fall 2021, requiring a minimum of 180 hours. Shifts are available MondayThursday during the 3:00pm - 8:00pm timeframe. The internship will last from approximately
August 23rd - December 6th. Scheduling accommodations may be made for the right
* Assist in the continued development and implementation of our Family Support Services
program utilizing the Family-Centered Care model. This program will be intentional
about providing support and resources to families and creates a caring, supportive,
and joyful environment for all.
* To directly serve both families and patients by designing, facilitating and supporting
Family Activities programming (age level support/activity groups) and at least one (1)
Special Event that provide a caring, supportive and fun environment for all the families
in the House.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Further develop Family Activities Program (age level support/activity groups). Manage
and support by helping design curriculum and facilitating age-appropriate activities for
residents of Holcombe House.
* Assess current curriculum, revise, or create new material, and implement programming
within the Family Activities schedule. This could be completed through creating and
utilizing educational handouts and brochures, presentations, programs, social media,
and/or special events.
* Create and plan at least one Special Event for families during the semester. (i.e.
Wellness Day; International Fair, outdoor field day, carnival, etc).
* Assist RMHH staff with chaperoning off-site field trips, as COVID restrictions permit.
* Assist with meal service to families, as needed.
* Assist with and provide support to volunteers and staff assigned to supply inventory and
* Capture photos and stories for use on RMH Houston social media page, within RMHH
photo release and privacy guidelines.
* Assist with translation and interpretation of documents, helping non-English speaking
family members enroll and participate in RMHH programs, as able.
* Attend Operations department and interdepartmental staff meetings, as applicable.
* Ability to communicate compassionately with patients/families on a one-on-one basis.
* Interacts comfortably and gracefully with patients who may be very ill and their families
including parents, siblings, grandparents and other caregivers.
* Ability to relate to families and children of various ages and cultural backgrounds
* Someone who is outgoing, a good communicator, listener, and detail oriented.
* The position requires a volunteer who demonstrates good judgment, flexibility and
* Great verbal and written communication skills
* Attention to detail
* Culturally competent and sensitive
* Comfortable completing research and communicating findings
* Interested in program development
* Speaks Spanish (highly preferred but not required)
* Must have completed at least four semesters of college in degree applicable to role
* Currently enrolled undergraduate college student
* Successful completion of background check
* Agree to follow COVID-19 safety precautions
* Must be fully vaccinated and able to provide proof of vaccination
* Go to https://rmhhouston.volunteerhub.com
* Click Create New Account to submit application.
* When prompted on the next screen, enter Join Code RMHHINTERN to open the
* Upload résumé as part of application
About Ronald McDonald House Houston
1907 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, US
Houston's Ronald McDonald House offers a home away from home providing care, compassion and hope to families with seriously ill children being treated in Texas Medical Center member institutions.
Ronald McDonald House Houston opened its doors in 1981 to offer a home away from home to the families with seriously ill children being treated in Texas Medical Center member institutions. Houston's RMH operates several locations that offer home-like environments to these seriously ill children and their families:
- 50 bedroom House on Holcombe Boulevard
- 20 bedroom House inside Texas Children's Hospital
- 14 bedroom House inside Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital
- Cardiovascular ICU Family Room at Texas Children's Hospital
- Hematology/Oncology Inpatient Family Room at Texas Children's Hospital
- Outpatient Family Room at Texas Children's Hospital
- Women's Pavilion Family Room at Texas Children's Hospital
- Family Room program at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
Each of these facilities serves a different population. The Holcombe House is generally home to families from outside Houston while the in-hospital facilities primarily serve families from the greater Houston area. At RMH Houston, the families find comfort, encouragement and support from volunteers, staff and other families, who share similar experiences, during an unimaginably difficult time in their lives.
Ronald McDonald House Houston is able to provide these services because of the generous gifts of time and financial support provided by individuals, companies, and foundations throughout the Houston community.
1907 Holcombe Blvd.Houston, TX 77030
September 23, 2021
- Customer Service
- Child Development
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 180 hours for the semester