Disaster Caseworker (Cleveland County)
Support Disaster Casework in the current hurricane and wildfire season!
In the period following a life-changing disaster, individuals, households, and communities can depend on Red Cross Disaster Caseworkers to guide them quickly through their recovery planning and refer them to the community organizations that can help meet their needs.
Disaster Caseworker Volunteers:
- Provide excellent compassionate customer service while observing all safety protocols in a COVID environment
- Interview clients to assess their situation and determine their needs
- Provide financial assistance to qualified clients
- Conduct follow-up and recovery planning services
- Provide internal and community referrals to meet client needs
- Assist with problem-solving and advocacy
- Services may be provided in person or virtually
- Complete the required virtual self-paced training (9 hours of training total)
Volunteers are needed to support locally year-round and/or to deploy to assist in-person at shelters during the current hurricane and wildfire season.
- Local (Virtual, Year-round): At least 4 hours/week
- Beyond Regional Response/Deployment: Deployment means traveling (Red Cross arranges travel and pays expenses) to a disaster area for a minimum of 14 days working between 12-14 hour shifts.
Skills and Qualities
- Willing and able to volunteer in person before, during and/or after a disaster event
- Ability to work in a continuously changing environment where work priorities frequently change
- Comfortable interacting with people from diverse backgrounds whose lives have been disrupted
- Kindness, compassion, and resourcefulness
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Willing to complete all required training (9 hours, self-paced online training)
About American Red Cross
100 Edgewood Road, Asheville, NC 28804, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that...
...all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope;
...our communities are ready and prepared for disasters;
...everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products;
...all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; and
...in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
The Community of Cleveland CountyShelby, NC 28150
September 22, 2021
- Disaster Relief Care & Shelters
- Administrative Support
- Disaster Response
- Case Work / Management
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training