Music Program Instructor
The Kid City Hope Place Music Lead Volunteer teaches music lessons on their instrument(s) under the coordination and direction of the Music Coordinator. This position is grant-funded and can only be used to provide/support music lessons to students. This position is only open to current college students OR college students who graduated between May and December 2021.
Duties & Responsibilities
Like all staff, the Music Program Lead Volunteer, is responsible for creating and maintaining a safe, welcoming environment for kids, volunteers, and visitors; representing Kid City professionally with appropriate dress, manner, quality of work; and serving as a mentor and guide for kids of all ages, including students in college. On days when the music program is the only active program at Kid City, the Music Program Intern along with the Music Coordinator is in charge of the student's health and safety, and facility and equipment maintenance and clean-up. In addition, the Music Volunteer has the following duties:
- Provide individual instruction on reading music and varying instruments (winds, strings, piano, guitar, bass, and drums)
- Choose repertoire appropriate to students' level
- Assign weekly practice of homework and prepare students for recitals
- This position requires proficiency in one or more instruments taught at Kid City including: voice, piano, guitar, bass, drums, saxophone, flute, clarinet, violin, viola, trumpet, trombone, or tuba
- Experience working with youth in a nonprofit music program setting
- Strong commitment to improving healthy lifestyles, college and job readiness of urban youth
- Ability to work respectfully in collaboration with youth of diverse race, family backgrounds, and income levels
- Understanding and ability to put into practice program philosophy, including radical welcome, adaptive leadership, and emergent curriculum
About Urban Foundation and Kid City
714 W OLYMPIC BLVD STE 922, LOS ANGELES, CA 90015, US
The Urban Foundation has volunteer opportunities in several programs, including Kid City Hope Place, Kid City JW, Skid Row Ministry, and in our administrative office. Kid City provides youth leadership, academic enrichment, and college access programs to low-income youth in downtown LA. Please read further to see what most interests you!
Kid City is a youth leadership and college access program operating after-school and during school breaks. Open to all at no charge, most participants are first generation college or college-bound students from very low income families living in and around downtown Los Angeles, where we are located. Activities include mentoring for high school seniors, after-school tutoring in all subjects for middle and high school students, college completion support for college students, SAT study groups, field trips, music lessons and band for middle and high school students, and a variety of leadership activities, including job training.
1021 S. Hope StLos Angeles, CA 90015
September 21, 2021
- Youth Services
- Music Arts
- Background Check
- This is a Lead Volunteer position which will support with 10-20 hours per week.